1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

RHS Horticulture qualification

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Johnny, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    After going for an interview in February and saving to take part in a one year City & Guilds National Certificate in Horticulture - General, I've just found out that there wasn't enough interest and so they are not doing the course. It was at Bishop Burton college near by and would of fitted perfectly around the year out my wife was having to look after our new daughter who is arriving next month.

The question after that long introduction is are correspondence courses good, though I would of preferred hands on and which do people recommend. The course I was going to do would have been £600 for the year. I basically want a qualification in horticulture that is recognised and if deciding to go into gardening for a living would mean something to clients and also mean I actually knew what I was talking about, which would be a first!

2. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Johnny.

Have you thought about the Open University? Or looking at what the local colleges are doing?

3. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I would contact Bishop Burton College and find out what alternative they recommend. You are talking a lot of money, and want it to be for a formal, recognised qualification, not some mumbo-jumbo DIY certificate!

I don't have personal experience of that course, but know that there are courses which only lead to a piece of paper, which are best avoided. Go with something you've heard of - the OU is a good suggestion.

4. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    To be honhest im not sure how mutch good any of the course are. I started a HNC in horticulture but walked out after six months. Basicly I wasnt learning anything and knew more than the lecturesrs, Gardening is something you either have a flair for or not. Plant knowledge is something that cant really be taught.

No one has ever once asked me about qulifications, on a practical level i have spraying and chainsaw tickets plus a good deal of plant operating experience and time spent in building and forestry, Ive never felt at any disadvantadge and run a sucessfull business.

6. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  7. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Pro Gard is talking a lot of sense. Experience counts for a lot, and I'm now wondering if your prospective clients would recognise the qualification anyway. Is there much competition in your area? I imagine that good references count for more than qualifications if you're wanting to be a good gardener. Maybe a bit of market research before you spend?

8. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I would go along with that 100%. Was the same as my starting years ago as a freelance photographer, it's the results and happy customers that count. The message soon gets around.

9. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I already get gardening jobs by word of mouth through clients I already have, the course qualification though good for note paper is really for me. I just want to know that the course I take is ran by professionals and not just somebody with a photocopier.

10. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    same here i did a NCH did want to do a ND but they wanted me to be in bristol and bridgewater at the same time :confused: i learnt more from my gramps to be honest :D
    if your getting jobs by word of mouth id not boather with a course your obviously good enough :thumb:

11. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks spudbristol but it is for the enjoyment and fulfilment of doing the course, though it would be more enjoyable if less expensive.

The RHS has links to the H.C. college and the course is £236.00 so probably going to opt for that one.

Not anyone done this course, anyone??

12. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    Sorry Johnny I’ve no experience of this course but it doesn’t seem a lot of money for gaining a fair bit of knowledge. I respect the RHS and any course endorsed by them should be good.

Personally I would struggle with any correspondence course for a practical subject. I would much rather have someone knowledgeable explaining things hands on. Someone mentioned that you can't be taught plant knowledge, I would disagree since I did formal training years ago and had very enthusiastic teachers who would rather hold a lesson in the middle of a field than stay indoors, what they told me then still remains in my limited memory.

It's a pity Bishop Burton isn’t running the course, but in your situation I can see you could get a fair bit out of this RHS course.

Good luck

13. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers JWK,

Got two of the 10 lessons marked now and going pretty well. I'd have to say it's pretty good but quite hard, plant biology, terminology I've never read in any gardening book or magazine but I am already using the little bits I've learnt in the garden centre I volunteer at and hopefully I will sit my exam next June. We had our second child less than 4 weeks ago so my study time is a bit more of a squeeze with lots of falling asleep half way through studying.

14. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    Well done Johnny, with two kids as well you certainly have your work cut out! Is there a time limit on doing each of the lessons? Or are you trying to pace it ready for next June?

15. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I doubt yourl ever need use half the knowledge again. Other than a basic understanding of photosynthesis, I cant see the need for in depth knowledge of plant biolodgy if you merly intend to be a jobbing gardener.