1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

RHS membership

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clanless, Jul 27, 2018.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,623
    I've read that the RHS seems to be more suited to gardeners who have huge gardens - by huge I mean in terms of acres.

The magazine that they publish concentrates mainly upon huge gardens - so is of little interest, I am told, to those of us (the majority) who have smaller plots.

It seems to me that in the race to pack as many houses as possible onto a building plot - there are massive houses with next to no garden.

Any RHS members have a view on this?

Is the demise of the RHS on the cards?

2. ElaineTP

ElaineTP Gardener

Ratings:
    +47
    I understand where you're coming from, but they also do focus a lot on small gardens - have you seen their "greening grey Britain" campaign. Also I just love being a member because I love visiting show gardens, and I'm particularly excited about their new garden in Manchester which will be near to me!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +957
      We got ours with Tesco club card points, mainly for free entrance to Wisley whenever we fancy & access to members day at Hampton Court as it’s too claustrophobic otherwise

• alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
      Ratings:
      +2,618
      I've been a member for many years and although I don't live close to any of the RHS gardens I do visit member gardens and make the most of my membership when on holiday in the UK. I get lots of inspiration from the gardens featured and articles in the magazine. I agree that the content, especially the ads, is more aspirational but it's good to see how the other half lives. I'm a fan of Roy Lancaster and Helen Dillon who are regular contributors to the magazine and both have downsized their gardens but are true plants people and a mine of horticultural knowledge.

I also get the Garden News magazine which features gardens and allotments on a more modest scale. It has a more down to earth approach to gardening but, being weekly, it is a good reminder of what should be done. Horses for courses but I enjoy both.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,270
        Yes The Garden does highlight a fair few larger gardens, however it also highlights smaller backyard gardens, community gardens in alley ways or on spare patches of ground, have seen a balcony garden in there as well.
        The advice on pests, problems and pruning are generally applicable to any size of garden as are articles on specific plants and container gardening. Recently there have been some articles on house plants.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,694
          I was a member for about 15 yrs, but packed it in about ten years ago.
          Partly as I found the Journal a bit boring but mainly because I was not getting my money's worth going to places.
          Wisley was probably the only place I visited that got me in for free.

• BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,765
            I get more inspiration from walking and driving past other peoples gardens..I'm only an amateur who likes gardening with an eye for what looks nice to me and if I can improve or put a slant on things then so be it...an RHS membership would be of no use to me (a subscription would help them more than I)...Talking with an old man down his allotment would provide me with more joy, stories and practical advice...some of the old ways I feel have got lost in modern technology....just my view I might add....

• Like Like x 1
            • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +46,062
              Going by the ever increasing numbers that visit Wisley I think it's the opposite. The RHS has changed for the good over the last few years, at one time it was frowned on to take children along and picnics were banned. It was a bit snobbish. It all changed about 15 years ago, they have built children's play areas, encourage younger ones with learning centres and even allow you to take in a flask of tea and sandwiches.

I like the model gardens at Wisley showing what is possible in a small family sized garden. Of course we all like to see planting on a big scale too and I don't see how that excludes anyone.

• Like Like x 2
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,694
                Oh blimey, they let kids in now?:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

I used to feel bad just walking past the restaurant , in jeans.;):biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                  Ratings:
                  +6,097
                  My first experience of the RHS was in 1960, when I was nominated and duly elected a Fellow of the RHS. In those days nomination and election was the only way of getting in. The monthy journal was small and drab looking. I have to be honest and admit that the means by which one became part of this world wide respected organization did perhaps bring about a bit of self importance.

The design of the journal has changed several times over the years. From the days of the scientific format with occassional line drawings. I still feel that in those days, there was much more of a closenes between Fellows than what exists today. The larger format of today certainly does credit to the pictorial display of gardens but also the illustrative aspect in displaying numerous members of various plant families.

I do find, and I have mentioned this to the society more than once. Very little page space is given over to what / who are now known as members. There no longer exists the availability for members to share or request plants.

Membership is probably due in the main to, Gift memberships. Does solve the present buying, if auntie Maude like flowers. Then of course,"What do I get out of it" I usually visit the London shows also Wisley gardens. Chelsea, been there done that.....TOO crowded. Other gardens No.

My response to the RHS collapsing etc. NO. It is a world-wide respected charity, and it's horticultural standards are recognised around the world. It's teaching and training is of very high standards. I would like to see local schools being catered for, also the, the reintroduction of evening classes and the like. Yes the RHS is a registered charity. Believe me. Like most charities their coffers are well lined. Something that really bugs me is the lack of socialability at places like Wisley, Kew and others. Try and have a chat with the ground staff. They seem to clam up, as if big brother is watching them. Enjoy your gardening.

• Like Like x 2
                    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
                  • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                    Ratings:
                    +6,097
                    The childrens area came about probably due to Wisley gardens being more or less the local park. Mind you. Visiting with the kids or on your own. Take a flask and a sandwich.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Cinnamon

Cinnamon Super Gardener

NHS
                      Ratings:
                      +893
                      ...I agree with Elaine. They are doing some high quality outreach work these days and broadening the demographics of people they aim to get gardening.
                      I also like the members' seed scheme, where you can get 15 packs of seed harvested from their gardens for £8.50 Many of the plants listed are difficult and/or expensive to obtain.

• Like Like x 3
                      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +16,246
                        Visited my brothers this weekend for a family party . They live just across the A3 to Wisley. Now I have always wanted to visit Wisley , brother and his wife have RHS membership . So a visit on Sunday morning was planned before driving home up the delightful M25 . After nearly 4 months of bone dry weather , we had steady heavy rain :wallbanging: We'll try again on our next visit.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • Funny Funny x 1
                        • ElaineTP

ElaineTP Gardener

Ratings:
                          +47
                          I actually spoke to someone involved in the Bridgewater garden near Salford and they said part of the plan was to try to get the RHS into more socially and culturally diverse areas so people shouldn't view it as a posh southern club!! So anyone who wants membership you can get an extra £5 voucher which I pointed out in this thread

• Like Like x 1
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Cinnamon

Cinnamon Super Gardener

NHS
                            Ratings:
                            +893
                            Yes, that's explicitly an aim and I'm really pleased Sue Biggs is talking about it. Growing plants, especially knowing how food crops are grown, liking gardens and flowers shouldn't be just a posh thing, or something for old people, or white Brits.

Another factor with destinations (be they gardens or flower shows) is that planning tends to be done on the basis of additional population within say, a 90min journey. This sort of thing can easily be plotted on GIS maps. So it made sense to 'target' the NW as they have a garden in the NE as well as (rival) shows there, and a new flower show at Chatsworth in the Midlands.

• Like Like x 2