1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhubarb Advice

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by foxyloxy, May 4, 2020.

1. foxyloxy

foxyloxy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, Please give me some advice:
    I bought three rhubarb (Timperley Early, Raspberry Red and Victoria) and planted them in pots on 26 March, only Raspberry red has grown a couple of leaves. The other two still look dormant. Am I being impatient, or is it time for me to contact the seller.

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,328
    @foxyloxy
    I'd wait a bit longer. Did they have buds on them when you planted them? It also depends on what your weather has been like.
    How big are the pots you have them in? Rhubarb is really better off in the ground as it forms a large root. I know people who have grown it in large containers, a half barrel or larger.
    Rhubarb also likes rich soil and plenty of water in dry conditions

• Informative Informative x 1
    • foxyloxy

Ratings:
      +0
      Wow! Thank you for replying so quickly. Raspberry Red had what I thought could have been new growth the other two looked dead. As we had only just started working the garden, and have blue clay. I put them in 35 cms pots in multi purpose compost until I have the ground ready for them.

F8500194-87C0-4A76-A0EC-8A112D9E1F45.png ED28929C-5599-497E-9842-0643EE847685.png 83FA881C-3837-4462-BE6D-7AFAF946169F.png

• Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
      Ratings:
      +1,200
      Damn, I was hoping to give a recipe for Rhubarb cider

• Funny Funny x 1
      • foxyloxy

Ratings:
        +0
        Yum! That does sound good. We used to make rhubarb wine, many years ago, that was delicious

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,328
        @foxyloxy The Timperly Early appears to have a bud on it as well, the Victoria looks to be good bit, just that the buds are buried further in. Rhubarb is pretty tough and I expect that as the weather warms up a bit more you will get growth on all three. They will be fine in 35cm pots until you are ready to plant them, just keep them well watered and fed once they start to grow.
        @Cuttings Rhubarb cider sounds interesting. I do make Rhubarb gin which works out pretty well, I also save the gin soaked pieces of rhubarb for crumble, the gin adds the flavour and because the rhubarb has been "dried out" a bit by the gin remains firmer in the crumble.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • foxyloxy

Ratings:
          +0
          OMG! Rhubarb gin, that sounds a must. I do like gin, and to have it in a crumble sounds even better. Pity I have to wait a couple of years! Thank you for your help, I will be patient and watch them carefully.

• JenniferA

JenniferA Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +11
          Have you had any luck with them growing @foxyloxy ? I attempted to grow rhubarb last year but it turned out they were too thirsty and died not long after I had to be away for a couple of days and they had wilted. They came back a bit but were clearly unhealthy with brown spots afterwards. I'm hoping to be more successful this year.

• foxyloxy

Ratings:
          +0
          Funny you should ask that now! Just this evening as I was watering them, I decided that I might turn them (two rhubarb not showing any sign of life)out gently to see if anything is occurring out of sight. Nigel advised patience, so I am waiting with fingers crossed.