Rhubarb

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Fat Controller, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,821
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 3.28.38 PM.jpeg

I finally have rhubarb, but know very little about it's care or even harvesting. I believe that it shouldn't be harvested at all the first year?

The one on the left was planted last year - does that mean that was it's first year or is this its first year (being the first whole year)? The one on the right was planted only a few weeks ago, so I am pleased it is doing as well as it is.

What do I need to do (if anything) toward winter? When is time to harvest? ANy other tips?

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +20,945
    The clump on the left I would harvest some of that and enjoy it.
    Keep an eye open for flower buds which come through from the bottom centre and remove when you see them.
    As you are growing through membrane (by the look of it) I would use something like Miracle Gro to feed with, mine are in uncovered soil and get a handful of growmore or chicken pellets also water in long dry spells.
    Harvest time from spring through to summer. February you can put a dustbin or similar over the clump to "force them" if it works you get long, pale, sweet sticks. If you force one clump don't harvest much more from it that year. How much to pick I would say always leave between a third and a half on the crown. the crown tends to stop producing new shoots around mid summer and the older ones are decidedly stringy.
    One of mine has leaves through most winters the other disappears below ground in November.
    As a child it all disappeared end of October until March.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +48,821
      Brilliant, thanks @NigelJ :)

As it happens, I did feed with Miracle Gro today (quite impressed with the hose attached feeder); I am quite happy to hack open more of the membrane if it is needed to allow sideward spread or for chicken pellets - indeed, the membrane stops at the right hand side of that left clump as the clump was already there when I laid the membrane.