1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ribes nidigrolaria

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kedi-Gato, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Who knows what these are called in English?
    It is a hybrid, a cross between a black currant and a gooseberry. The berries look like very big black currants, but they are not as big as gooseberries. The taste is a mix between the two. The leaves look like black currant ones and the shrub is taller. Our neighbour has such a bush and makes jam with the fruit - delicious!

2. nicsdad

nicsdad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi kedi-gato from germany
    they are called Justaburys i think

3. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Hi nicsdad - I just looked in the google for Justaburys. The correct term is Jostaberry. Justaburys have to do with Arabian horses (I only skimmed over the titles). But you put me on the right track - thanks! You'll never guess what the German name is - Jostabeeren!!! This is the name I knew them by.

4. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,985
    There is also a plant called Worcesterberry, which is halfway betwixt Gooseberry and Blackcurrant. It is extremely thorny too, but the fruit is mmmmmmmmmmmmm. This is called Ribes divaricatum.