Ripening peppers using a lamp?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Snorky85, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,847
    Anybody used the led lamps to ripen peppers? Some of mine aren't fully red yet. Does this work?

D4750DD6-C83D-440F-8F30-77FEF2B620B3.jpeg

2. Parrot

Parrot Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    I haven't - if my don't ripen by the end of this month, I tend to use them in salads or freeze them.
    Be interesting to know if anyone has successfully used the method you suggest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +609
      I have read some have tryed this method 16 to 18 hours of light some said they has sucess others didnt
      I been on holiday and my tomotoes plant is full of baby tomotoes even still flowering most of them green but they wont ripen as the weather so cold and i have no greenhouse
      I covered them so was looking on the net to ripen them and came across this
      As with virtually all fruit and vegetables you can simply pick your chillies while still unripe and allow them to ripen naturally by storing them in a dry place in the kitchen. This works really well particularly when the chillies are already partially ripe. I
      avoid putting your chillies in the fridge. Doing so will of course keep them fresher for longer however it will not help them ripen and some say the cooler temperatures of a fridge can breakdown the naturally occurring sugars, impacting both the taste and heat of the peppers.

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,078
      Id be surprised if it did work. Might be easier to keep them warm in a bright spot. Keeping a banana nearby may help?
      I had a few Palermo that didnt ripen 100% before picking but ripened up nicey on a table by the window.

Only 10 weeks till new sowing time under the lights?

• Like Like x 1
      • Parrot

Parrot Gardener

Ratings:
        +39
        In many instances, it will depend on just how close the Peppers are to ripening naturally - some just need a nudge so the table by the window would suffice.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1