1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

river caldew heron

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by cumberland, May 31, 2009.

1. cumberland

cumberland Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    went for a lovely walk along the rivers caldew, eden and petterill total around 5 miles all of it on the flat, will post pics of the eden and petterill later

started along the caldew and saw a heron snoozing, it never moved for the time i stood and watched it, never saw any otters which live in all 3 rivers - next time maybe

sunny from 5am set off at 6am and just casually strolled my way round the circuit home at 10.45, then just spent the rest of this beautiful day lazing and the odd bit of pottering about in the garden

hope you all had a lovely weekend too and that the sun shined for you

the source of the river caldew begins at carrock fell in the lake district it flows through carlisle where it joins the river eden
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

heron apparently having a snooze ( never moved from this position for the time i stood and watched it)
    [​IMG]

woodlands by the river the scent early morning from the wild flowers was powerfull
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here where the caldew on the lefet joins the eden on the right
    [​IMG]

2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    lovely photos cumberland how tranquil just love it, bet thats my heron as it wasnt at the royal quays today haha

3. cumberland

cumberland Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    thanks rosa
    do you know it was so loveley today i was tempted to go in for a paddle, chatted for a while to a fisherman who was casting in the river eden he had got there at 4am and was planning to stay til noon, its been one of those days where you dont want it to end

4. cumberland

cumberland Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    oh aye
    i think the heron was sporting a black and white scarf, so maybe had come over for a spot of fishing

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    cumberland its been so nice today i would of gone for a paddle you should of done, im off on tuesday with my friend up to druridge bay, northumberland have a nice day out will get pics.
    yes that herons definately mine haha, and weather like this you just have to get out and about with our cameras.

6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    What a beautiful area for a walk Cumber! 6am !! Bet the birdsong was lovely then.

I especially like the 4th pic of all the wildflowers!

7. cumberland

cumberland Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    rosa, cookie monster & periwinkle thanks for the comments
    yes the bidsong was very evident, the aroma from the flowers was very strong and sweet

one more from the banks of the caldew
    [​IMG]

8. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    I really feel for the folk who live in the big cities and dont get to see what our countryside has to offer.
    Lets keep it quite and dont tell them...
    Thanks for sharing your trip Cumberland
    robert

9. cumberland

cumberland Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    capney
    agreed fella!
    carlisle has a population of approx 76,000 so although a city is quite a small one, it has huge 'green areas' and is surrounded by beautiful countryside with the Lake district to the south, northern pennines AONB & eden valley to the east, solway coast AONB to the west, and the border country & scotland to the north.

on a wet miserable day its simply awful, but when the weathers good its beautiful to get out and about

the 3 rivers that flow through carlisle come from different sources
    the biggest river (eden) rises in the pennines near the mallerstang range, the caldew rises from the Lake district near carrock fell and the petetrill rises near motherby which is in between the pennines and the lakes, the caldew and petterill join up with the eden in the city centre before flowing west into the solway firth

cumbria is a beautiful county i am so very lucky living here, i just wish we had a little less rainfall

cant have everything though can we!