1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Road Train

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Hec, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds scary to me. Seems a bit like joining and leaving a ski lift.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8349923.stm

Clearly the technology is here but who would feel safe - and yet we trust our lives to other drivers all the time.

2. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Not a chance in he** I would be in control of a vehicle (or not in this case) and sitting behind the steering wheel 'reading a book' or similar while relying on someone else to control my vehicle!

We can all use the same sort of method to reduce fuel consumption but be in control of our own vehicles. Heavy transport trucks do it all the time - travelling behind one another - and saving on fuel consumption. Hope it doesn't take off here in the UK!

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    A complete load of EC bunkum.
    So this snake of vehicles trundles along in lane one following the slowest vehicle, I cant work out how such a combination could ever overtake anything.
    If it did it would cause the biggest tailback of all time, especially on two laners.

Only the other day an artic road train was taken off the roads, so I cant see this barmy idea ever getting on the road.

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Our roads can't handle the traffic on them at the moment. How are we supposed to dedicate one lane of motorways to this sort of thing?

It's a good idea in principle though and as Hec says, we trust other drivers who may or may not be giving the road and other users the attention required.

5. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    I suppose the people who come up with these ideas have to earn their money somehow!! What a load of pooh.