1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

rodent?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Gizmo, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
    +851
    hi we have some friends with a possible rodent issue that comes into the house between floors or in the loft they seem to be damaging the property inside . they have tried traps and several types of bait including biscuts and peanut butter .. the only things they can hear is scurrying about they are avoiding traps and baits .. they did see a squirrel in there garden but unsure if it was the squirrel getting in the only thing they can say is that the animal moves stones any ideas what this could be ... IMG-20210905-WA0001.jpg

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    If they can hear it moving around probably a rat. Even if it's a Squirrel I believe they can also damage electrical wiring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
      +851
      Thanks for the reply but it's avoiding bait and traps. So it's a bit confusing why or what it is

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,220
      Squirrels, like all rodents, are persistent gnawers and not fussy about what they gnaw sowill damage electrical cabling etc.
      I seem to remember that rats don't like new things so a trap will be avoided, they also go round the edge of an area, so traps need to be against the wall. Fruit cake works well for mice.
      If they are damaging property then I would get professional advice or contact the council and see if they have a pest control service.

• Like Like x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        We've had some really crafty rats around at times, and I've resorted to shooting them when feeding in an area where that's safe, but you can need really quick reactions as they can grab the bait and be off immediately.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
          Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
        • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
          +851
          Thanks for the reply they have put electronic traps down nothing taken bait.. What would be the perfect bait for a possible rat thanks

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +45,988
          I cannot make out what the photo is, with the two holes they look perfect for a rat's nest.

• Agree Agree x 3
          • Like Like x 1
          • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
            +851
            It looks like to me that they had a grate on there and eaten through by rodent....
            As its not ours it might be for pipes. Ventilation.. But friends say the rodent go in there but not touching traps or food they put down.. They are unsure what it is all they said is that they can hear it and seems to be collecting stones.. First they thought it was a mouse as had them before.. I said to put a camera inside and outside of property to see what rodent it is.. At the moment it's a mystery

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +45,988
            The first thing I would do is to block up any access points, those holes could lead any where in the house.

• Agree Agree x 3
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
              +851
              Thanks for the replys.. I am not sure if that picture is outside or inside of there property.. I know they said before that a animal made a hole in the pantry... Put bait trap down nothing caught.. If the picture is outside then I would have thought that they are trying to get the rodent out but again avoiding bait trap..
              I did ask about the house next door to them as they are not detached could rodent be coming in from next door unclear at the moment.. But they are lifting floor boards up to try and see what it could be..
              But strange to me is they can't see any poop from rodent??
              The mystery continues

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
              +851
              I spoke with the owners of house today they advised that the picture is inside property.. The holes had. Pipes for ventilation system they removed system but also advised to use it as ventilation.. At the moment nothing heard eg rodent??

• John White

John White Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +13
              You can use a wildelife camera to find out what animal it is. It could be a rat or squirrel or something else.

• Like Like x 1
              • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                +851
                The rodent issue was mice and was hiding under the fridge ... solved