1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rogue grass in lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by dortmunder, Jun 9, 2015.

1. dortmunder

dortmunder Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi. Our lawn this year has a lot of hard, ugly grass in it - I hope this pic is clear enough. Does anyone know what it is and if it can be got rid of? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    Hey Dortmunder. It looks like Annua Poa. A combination of hand forking out the worst affected areas, making sure you get as much of the plant out as you can, and regular mowing can keep it in check. Failing that strengthen the lawn early next year to ensure the perennial grass that you do want has dominance over the area to prevent the Poa finding gaps to fill.

• Like Like x 2
    • dortmunder

dortmunder Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Hi Axl and many thanks for that.

• Highlife

Highlife Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      First post, please take it easy on me.
      That looks more like a course grass like one of the varieties of Rye but you would need to look at the blade, sheath, seed head and stem to varify, PA is finer and seeds very quickly with thinner sheaths.
      You can weaken this grass by slicing into but you either have to remove it by had or use a jig and spray a total weed killer on it then reseed with the correct seed as to match your grass.
      PA can't be eradicated with constant mowing.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    • Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
      +446
      Hey Highlife,

Welcome!

You may well be right on the variety, the photos not too clear.

Like I said, hand forking out to remove the plant but the mower's not used to eradicate it, it's used to keep it in check by taking any seed heads off to prevent topping up the seed bank.

Peace!

• Highlife

Ratings:
      +0
      Hello

It was the sheath or the stem that gives it away. PA is thinner and seeds quickly and much lower to the ground on lawns that are cut.
      If you are crafty and use something like a turf doctor you can lift out the weed grass and replace it with new turf but it's not an tool many keep in their sheds.

• hans

hans Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +745
      Hello dortmunder. Interesting replies digging it out and replacing seems like a positive step. I have a lawn that I recently inherited with the same issues very strong quick growing tufts amongst softer lawn grass. Looks untidy soon after cutting. I may have a shot at it later in the year.

• Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
      +446
      You're right, you don't see them often and I doubt there are many in domestic gardens. I've got an old round one which relies on body weight but I've always regretted not getting the square one. Looks a much better tool all round.

• Highlife

Ratings:
      +0
      Just a quick visit Axl but I was waiting to see if you came up with a herbicide that can control ryegrass. You would have to confirm the other types of grass in the area but there is one available if you have large areas covered in say Yorkshire fog or Ryegrass.
      Look up pinoxaden to find out about it. You will need to be licenced to use it and have an understanding of turf species as you don't want to kill off moderate effected grass types.
      Off I go again, back to my sports related forum that is helpless in turf management :)

• Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
      +446
      Hey Highlife,

No need to address your post to me. If you've got something relevant to the op just post away. I tend to stay away from discussing controlled substances where possible but if you want to, carry on.

• Highlife

Ratings:
      +0
      Sorry I thought you are trained in spraying which is why I mentioned it. I must have been thinking of some one else.

• Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
      +446
      Yes, I'm registered. But your post needs to be addressed to the op, not to me.

• Highlife

Ratings:
      +0
      Not a problem Axl, just the OP can't use this and very few know about it and was hoping you just might be interested being in the turf industry but it is fairly complex to use and was worth a shout and I fully understand that is not a commonly found chemical.

• Guesty

Guesty Gardener

Ratings:
      +191
      I have has the same problem as you with a brand new lawn (fine seed so looks awful). Not sure if its the lawn seed that I purchased or the top soil I acquired.

Spent about 2 hours removing the bits by hand the other night (much easier after a good soaking). Its nearly 80% gone so will keep doing this until its all gone.