1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

rooting hormone

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by miraflores, Apr 2, 2016.

1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    could you please suggest an efficient rooting hormone and where do I find it (or how to make one at home)? Thanks / In this instance it is for carnations

2. Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
    Ratings:
    +2,751
    I just get mine from the garden centre, when my Grandad did carmations he just put them in a glass of water and they easily rooted with out any rooting powder, Now your going to laugh at this he also used custard powder, that worked very well

• Useful Useful x 1
    • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      I' ll start with the custard powder, which is more familiar :smile:

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      Two old timers;

Honey. Just put the end of the cutting in a honey mixture (one teaspoon of honey added to 100ml of freshly boiled water then cooled) for a few hours and then pop it into the soil. Worked well for me. Honey has no hormonal advantages but it has antibacterial qualities, many of the amini acids for life and is stuffed full of sugars which may give the cuttings a boost.

Willow water. Not tried it but there are recipes on the net for this. Aspirin is derived from willow and I've heard this mentioned as well.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,949
      Vinegar, but not sure on the dilution:biggrin:

Can you still buy rooting powder????

Only ever used it because it contained Captan, a fungicide to stop rooting.
      Then they banned Captan so couldn't see the point anymore.

• Like Like x 1