1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rose feed problem

Discussion in 'Roses' started by ARMANDII, Dec 6, 2011.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Having just bought 3 climbing roses for the pond area I've dug over the site and replenished it lavishly with old compost. There was already two climbing roses there of over 20 years old........but they're not the problem, the actual position of the site is..

The planting site, about 25' in length, is on the West Bank of my pond and the roses are on top of the bank, which slopes quite steeply down to the pond about 6' away,

[​IMG]

You can see part of the site just above the Ferns and the Jugs for the fountain.

The problem is l have refrained from feeding the previously sited roses for fear of run off or leaching of the feed into the pond which would encourage algae. Ever since I built the pond the water has always been crystal clear because of the marginal plants and bog garden incorporated into the pond extracting the nutrients naturally from the water. I don't use filters, nor do I want to.:wallbang: However, with the planting of the three new climbing roses I would like to feed them regularly. Has anyone got any ideas on what to use and how to do it!:ideaIPB::scratch::D Advice would be appreciated

2. Bluedun

Bluedun Gardener

Layabout
    Ratings:
    +37
    Have you thought about foliar feeding.

I will be having a go at this next year on my borders, the reason being next door have lots of trees and shrubs right next to the fence. ( don't want to feed these ).

I will be trying Seaweed fertiliser.

Trevor

• Like Like x 1
    • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
      Ratings:
      +2,250
      What about those fertilizer spikes?

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        I guess I could try both of those, Trevor and Catz. But roses are notoriously heavy feeders and I'm just wondering if that would be enough.:scratch::D

• catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
        Ratings:
        +2,250
        Well, the spikes will tell you how many to use and when to renew them. You have plenty of time to check up on it anyways.

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          I'll definitely give them a try, Furry Tail. I'm just wondering how many to a plant and would it be sufficient.:scratch::dunno::D

• graham the gardener 1978

graham the gardener 1978 i'm addicted to gardening and i love it

head gardener
          Ratings:
          +71
          hi how about slow release fertilizer added to your planting medium, some brands last 24 months.
          i regularly foliar feed my roses with maxicrop, i also add a fungicide (hallmark) to the mix to help fight blackspot and mildrew.
          just wondering are you planting the new roses into the same site of the old roses as this has the protential to cause disease if the soil is not completly replaced. good luck :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
            Ratings:
            +3,699
            Wont manure dug into the planting medium feed the plants for their first year, then top dressing with manure feed afterwards?

I would not of thought you would suffer run off into your pond considering the ammount of plants it's got to get past before getting to your pond..if the photo is anything to go by.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              Thanks for the recommendations, Graham, I will certainly give them a try.:thumbsup: I've planted the 3 new roses a good 6' apart and approximately the same distance from the old roses so I'm not too worried about "rose sickness", but it was a thought on my mind so I intentionally dug the 25' length over and mixed in a really generous portion of compost, both commercial and gartden. I try not to use any chemical sprays near or by the ponds though to prevent pollution from wind drift, or my clumsiness when spraying, so I try to choose fairly disease resistant roses for the pond area and let them get on with it:D

Hi Steve, as you've guessed it's the running off and leaching problem that's on my mind. I did a few "tests" before I dug over the site and after, i.e: Filled a watering can with some harmless yellow dye and trying watering the area. The first test with the soil not dug proved that the water would just run off within minutes even allowing time for the water to sink into the soil. The second test with the dug soil and helping of compost was better and I thought I solved the problem, however the following day I could see some yellow dye in the water, so it had leached through the soil. You're right, come to think of it, about the present planting medium they're in now, and the annual dressing of manure as there should be plenty of feed in the site right now without additional feed. I'm just wondering if the marginal and bog garden plants by the pond would deal with the lesser amount of feed being leached from the manure., and I think the answer is probably yes.
              The natural nutrient extraction system that I use [i.e: letting the marginal, oxygenating and bog plants do the work] has worked brilliantly over the years and kept the pond water crystal clear, even with fish in it. But, as you know, it doesn't take much to upset the balance.:( Thanks for your thoughts on the matter, much appreciated.:D

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
              Ratings:
              +3,699
              As with all garening it's a fine balance, dip your toe and hope you dont get scalded, so to speak.

I wonder if maybe "planting" some plastic pipes to feed directly to the roots of the plants would be beneficial in this scenario, then you could just water/feed weekly a little bit at a time so you dont overload the soil in one hit., in one area thereby eliminating any possible run-off.

• Like Like x 2
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                :ideaIPB:I'm tempted to split the planting site into three test areas. One with just the manure/compost dressing, one with the slow release fertilisers, and one with the last idea of yours, Steve, the plastic piping. I do usually feed the rest of the garden on a twice weekly basis with the pots getting any watering/feeding on top as necessary so feeding the pond roses little and often wouldn't exactly be a chore.:D

• Like Like x 2
                • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,593
                  foiliar feeding on a regular basis with something like seaweed extract or nitrosol or a mixture of both may do the trick .... send a mail to david austin roses and ask advice ...

check this:

http://www.travena.co.uk/biomagic.htm

http://www.marinrose.org/fertilizing.html

and some claim this is very good for roses:
                  Maxicrop Seaweed with Sequested Iron

and this has been discussed on some forums:
                  Uncle Toms Rose Tonic

and this is an interesting article:
                  http://farmerfredrant.blogspot.com/2009/07/foliar-feeding-waste-of-time-and-money.html

• Like Like x 2
                  • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
                    Ratings:
                    +3,699
                    Ooh..a trial..sounds like a plan! :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1