1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rose Hedge Suggestions

Discussion in 'Roses' started by clum111, Apr 24, 2016.

1. clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
    +170
    Hi,

I'd like some suggestions for growing a rose hedge. I've a border between me and my neighbour, which is mine. it's about 4m long and will end up being about 25cm wide after the new steps are put in along the border.

So, I'm after a pink, red or yellow rose, which is compact, upright growth and be kept trimmed so it doesn't grow wide. I don't the really open petal type rose. I'm thinking about planting them about 30cm apart if that makes sense.

Any suggestions would be a great help:)

2. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    25cm is very narrow for a rose hedge especially as it is a boundary. If I were making a rose hedge it would be with ramblers or wild roses but they sound too big for your requirements. Can't you give it a bit more depth?

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,835

Good morning @clum111 what ever rose you chose you will have to at 25cm wide control its growth by constant trimming,if you go for miniature roses this will give you a better chance,such as Rosa Polyantha:smile:

sq_rosa_polyantha_001.jpg

4. clum111

clum111 Gardener

Ratings:
    +170
    Thanks @Redwing and @wiseowl

I meant to type, I don't like open petal roses.

I've found this which is a upright growth rose, http://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/queen-of-sweden-hedging-collection-10-roses

Would something like this be suitable for what I want, but can you point me in direction for something cheaper please?

I've another idea. Azaleas, they are evergreen, can be compact, flower from February to June (depending on type), slow growing. Would this be a better option and if so, what do I have to look for?

• Friendly Friendly x 1