1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rose Hip Syrup

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Phil A, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Probably did this last year but we've quite a few new members since then so here goes....

An excellent and tasty way of storing Vitamin C for the winter months.

[​IMG]

Gathered half a kilo

[​IMG]

Took the stems off & chopped them up

[​IMG]

Get them into boiling water asap as the vitamin C starts breaking down as soon as they are chopped. As soon as it comes back to the boil turn off the heat and let stand for 15 mins.

[​IMG]

Pour into a jelly bag & let drip, or squeeze if you don't mind it cloudy. This is to strain all the irritating hairs out.

Boiled the pulp up again & added 500grams of sugar.

Pour into sterilised bottles. Ready to drink as soon as its cooled.

[​IMG]

I drink a couple of tablepoons a day in the winter, often stirred into a glass of milk.

• Like Like x 7
    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      nice and looks very tasty ... will give that a try!

I'm a big fan of juices and make my own conncoctions (I have a juicing machine ... chuck in a carrot, a pear, and apple, some broccoli, a few small tomatoes a teaspoon of manuka honey etc and you have a health tonic ... sometimes tastes like medicine, but does your body good)

I also take a vitamin D tab often to prevent flu/colds (one of the few vitamins that is not properly promoted)

• Like Like x 2
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Sounds good Dim, I was saying to Daughter #1 today as we walked thru the orchards that I would love a juicer, especially as Scrunge has told us how to pasteurise.

Vitamin D should be promoted, there was an article on the radio yesterday about how Rickets are making a comeback due to sunblock.

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        the juicing machine is one of the best items in my kitchen .... well worth the money ....

I even juice raw beetroot and spinach through there ....

like I said, sometimes tastes like medicine, but add a pear, an orange and some other sweet tasting fruit to compensate ...

kids used to hate the stuff, but they don't mind it now if I give them half a glass (and bribe them with £2 for a snack at college)

• Like Like x 1
        • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,125
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Sounds good.

Oh, I forgot to say, leave some Rosehips for the Birdies and gather some before the Fieldfares get here in a few weeks, they'll have most of them away.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          That looks ideal Marley:dbgrtmb:

Sorry, but as a Moderator, i'm going to have to ask you to adjust the size of your post:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
          • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
            +19,595
            I make rosehip syrup, but I don't have a blender or a juicer or a the filter cloth thingy, so this is my way:

Having removed the stalks, and rinsed the rosehips in cold water to get any obvious unpleasant bits off (big juicy bugs for example), I then boil them whole until fairly soft.

I then mash them with the spud masher, still in the same pan they were boiled in.

I then add loads of sugar (still in the same pan), and stir it all up.

Leave it to cool a bit. I find the sugar helps draw out the juices from the still solid bits.

Then it goes through the sieve into a big jug.

Some hot water is added to the pulp and its stirred and left to 'mash' (brew/soak) until cool. Then I sieve that lot into the jug too.

From there it gets taste tested, and more sugar added if necessary.

Because I don't use much water in the process, it comes out as a thick syrup. Too sickly to use neat in any significant measure, so it gets used as a cordial. I.e. we pour a bit and dilute to taste.

• Like Like x 2
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              I like the less water bit Dave, will go with that on the next batch:dbgrtmb:

• clueless1

Ratings:
              +19,595
              You still use the same amount overall because you have to dilute mine, but you use less in the initial process.

• Like Like x 1
              • Flowerpot

Flowerpot Gardener

Self Employed Courier
                Ratings:
                +85
                Was looking at getting some tablets of Rosehip for my joint pains suppose to be good stuff for Arthiritis, these tablets are made from the seeds and comes in 6000mg first time available in the uk but at the moment sold out.

Would drinking the juice be of any help?, would love to try some if it does.

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,089
                Heh heh. What you gain on the roundabout you lose on the swings, and all that!

• Like Like x 1
                • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  I'd give it a go Caz, you've got nothing to loose by trying, and its more fun making it yourself.

Wiltshire is full of Rosebushes.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
                  • clueless1

Ratings:
                    +19,595
                    I would do some research first before using anything made specifically from the seeds.

Try to find some objective articles rather than just herbalists singing the praises.

The reason I say this is I'm 99% sure I read somewhere that the seeds contain a chemical that causes adverse side effects in some people. The side effects I remember were nausea, diziness, muscular weakness, and abdominal cramps. I know I read that, but the element of doubt in my mind comes from the fact I'm not quite 100% certain it was about rose seeds, because I do read about a lot of different herbal things.

Rosehip juice, and indeed an infusion from the petals of some roses, is generally accepted to be a potent anti-inflammatory. That being the case I can understand why it might be recommended for arthritis, but I thought it was more just for the digestive tract.

• Like Like x 1
                    • capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
                      Ratings:
                      +1,320
                      Mum used to reduce it down to syrup. Amazing stuff spread on toast.

• Like Like x 1