Rose pruning

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Scotty2088, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Scotty2088

Scotty2088 Gardener

Ratings:
    +188
    Hi all

Apologies for all the simple threads with what probably seems silly questions.
    I’ve been browsing the forums and seen loads of advise regarding roses. I have two roses on my bank that I planted in summer of last year.
    I notice people suggest pruning in Jan/Feb. I’ve gone to do pruning today and noticed lots of leaves coming through but the pruning guides advise to remove leaves. Is this the case in my situation? I have added a picture.

Attached Files:

2. Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    With a shrub rose you want to prune it back, to form a goblet shape, if you take your hand, and imagine you are holding a large orange, point the fingers straight up, this is the shape you want, for optimal light penertration, personally, I only remove discoloured leaves, and prune back to a clean set of leaves, prune the stem at a 45 degree angle, to encourage the leader to grow upwards, also roses are greedy, feed and water regularly in the growing season.