1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rose question

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Rosiemongrel, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a very large rose (2 metres tall) which has been infected by fungal disease. Despite much spraying and removal of dead leaves etc, it has dropped nearly all its leaves and is pretty bald. Should I prune it hard now (reducing it to about 1/2 its current size), or should I let it carry on looking rubbish until the autumn? I know you're supposed to prune in the autumn and spring, but does that also apply in a situation where the plant is ill?

2. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If no one posts anything to the contrary, I am going to give that rose the hair cut of its life.

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,793
    Hi Rosie Can I have some more information,What Fungal disease ,age,Type Ect So that I can give you the correct advice.:)

4. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    black spot I think. Leaves turned yellow and fell out in masses. Plant is bold for the first 120 cms up or so. There are still some leaves after that, but not many.

5. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,793
    Hi Rosie If it is Blackspot Remove all the Infected Leaves on the Rose and more important every single leaf that is on the ground round the base of the Rose,Its never to late to spray just leave it untill the Spring when you can prune it,Your Rose is not ill its just the leaves that have a fungal disease,Next year start spraying in Feb-March at least once a week Look after it Nurture it It will Repay you with Beauty,with all Roses you only get back what you put in.
    Do not put infected leaves on the compost,Burn them or dispose of them safely as the Blackspot spores lay in the soil and will infect everything else.Hope this as been of some help to you :thumb::)

6. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advise, wiseoldowl. Ok, I'll collect the dead leaves from underneath (I have done it before, but I probably overlook some!), and I'll keep spraying, even though it looks as though it is not helping much. The plant's so big I use up half a bottle every time I treat it (which is getting quite dear).