Roses Black Spot & Greenfly Advice

Discussion in 'Roses' started by lowrider69, May 16, 2019.

1. lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
    Ratings:
    +174
    Roses Black Spot & Greenfly Advice

Hi guys got the dreaded black spot back and loads of greenfly this spring so sprayed it with rose ultra clear but the greenfly are still there they were sprayed on 29th april, is it ok to spray roses with soapy water or should i give it another dose of rose clear? it does say leave it 4 weeks

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,280
    • Like Like x 1
    • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
      Ratings:
      +174
      Thanks wiseowl, will have a read through it all later just been out and washed the rose bushes off they dont have many leaf as i took most off but climbing roses next to them have it as well and there to high and over my shed to take all the leaf off so spraying on a ladder is all i can do really

• lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
      Ratings:
      +174
      @wiseowl
      I was reading your thread part...
      Chemical
      Products containing the following chemical ingredients are all effective on Rose black spot
      Penconazole
      Myclobutanil - alternating any of these with the protectant Mancozeb to prevent the fungus developing resistance to the fungicides.

it seems rose ultra clear does not have any of the above can you suggest what I can use please?

only used ultra clear as it is meant to kill the greenfly as well.
      they are pretty clear of greenfly since spraying and washing them down with a hose pipe but the rose plants still have black spot,

thanks

Alan

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,280
      Hello Alan @lowrider69 are you thinking that because you can still see the black spot on the leaves that it is still there,the Fungus is dead but the black spot will always remain on the leaves.

As you know I don't spray my Roses at all,but if I did then prevention is far better than cure,I would start spraying as soon as the new leaves start to appear in the Spring.

I did state that you should remove all the leaves that are infected and burn them and any that have fallen on the ground ,otherwise the spores can lay there for ever,just make sure that the air can circulate through the Rose and never water them from the top only at the base,my advice is that Rose Clear only fights the blackspot it doesn't say it kills it.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
        Ratings:
        +174
        my dilemma is i have to keep washing the roses to keep the greenfly off so have to wash from the top and I cant get all the infected leaves off as I cant reach them the climbing roses has gone over my shed, I cant stretch that far hence the need for a chemical.

I do remove all the leaves on the floor and pick off what I can

so does any spray kill black spot, at a loss what to do

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        My Hon friend Woo. As a long standing Rosarian also. Sir. I congratulate you upon your recent, most comprehensive guide to Rose care.

Yes the much feared Black Spot. Like you. I don't spray my roses against it. As my little Meercat friend might say. Simbles. Too late. Your rose has got it. A tip for those who do spray. NOT only with roses but also many other plants. Begin a program of preventive spraying before and at least as the leaf buds start to swell.

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,280
          Good morning @Mike Allen and thank you,as a fellow Rosarian it is a privilege and an honour to know you my friend :smile:

Good morning @lowrider69 there is no spray that will kill blackspot to the best of my knowledge,with respect please stop fretting so much, just do what you can and then stand back and enjoy your Roses,they will be alright,they are tougher than you realise:smile:

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited: May 20, 2019
          • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
            Ratings:
            +174
            always a learning curve I guess lol ok will do what I can and hope for the best :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1