Roses decease and eaters

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Yana, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Yana

Yana Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hello dear gardeners,
    my roses need your help: what can be used to cope with these caterpillars on one rose and powdery mildew on another (if this is what it is on it) using non-chemical methods (from the stuff I can have at home) before I can get to a shop, and what to buy at a shop, please? And what do you do for prevention, please, so that I do it in spring/summer next year? IMG_2960.JPG IMG_2961.JPG IMG_2962.JPG IMG_2963.JPG IMG_2964.JPG IMG_2965.JPG Thank you very very much.

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

Think they are whats known as the Rose Sawfly Larvae and this link provides ways of dealing with them organically.

Same with the Mildew, but you can buy sprays that treat/protect against mildew and blackspot, but not sure how safe they are in respect of other garden creatures ?

Large rose sawfly

Rose powdery mildew

• Like Like x 1
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +609
      Hi yana
      I rather use natural things instead of chemicals so when ever i have any spots ,meldew etc on my plants i use milk and water and it does work also whats good is baking soda.

Ordinary baking soda is also a good natural fungicide for treating mildew on roses as well as other plants. an equally good homemade remedy for mildew is ordinary milk. Dilute 1 part milk in 7 parts water and spray on your roses. Apply again if it rains, but wait for the leaves to dry first. Try never to water roses from top
      Water at the bottom

A good organic way to get rid af sawfly either Spend just a few minutes a day on each rose bush checking and squishing is an effective and organic method of control. Sawfly larvae love the tender new leaves of a rose and. If you look closely you can see some larvae still present on some of the leaves another way Wrens and other garden birds, and ground beetles, are useful predators for sawfly so welcome them to your garden.
      if i see a. Ladybird i put them on my rose as they will predate sawfly larvae and so are another beneficial creature to have around.

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,328
        Chemical wise I think you can still get a product called roseclear, it contains a pesticide and a fungicide.

So should sort out both problems with one spray.

• Yana

Yana Gardener

Ratings:
        +12
        Janet, thank you very much for all info and explanations. I have read about milk, soda, vinegar as natural things but they mentioned it is good as a prevention or at the very beginning of decease. At which stage did you use it when it helped, please?
        In addition, I have noticed whitish leaves on some grass in our garden - can this mildew effect other plants as well or not? Should I spray the whole garden?!

• Yana

Yana Gardener

Ratings:
        +12
        Pete, thank you very much. I will try out everything to save my beauties

• Like Like x 1
        • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
          +609
          Hi yana hardly any leaves on my red robin was free of black spot it must have got like that over first few weeks in winter i thought oh no my beautiful bush but someone on here did mention milk so i looked it up and it said use milk and water for 2 or 3 weeks ,so i used it so i repotted it and used milk and water every couple of days and in 3 /4weeks the red robin leaves were black spot free

Also i had some bald patches on my grass i read somewhere that used fresh coffee grounds can help restore grass patches so for a few months i have rubbed fresh coffee grounds where the bald patches were and now almost all the bald patches have gone only a small patch remains .
          I have used coffee and sugar on my grass to get rid of weeds especally clover i know clover good for bees etc but i didnt wont one side of my grass to be over run by it , that also worked but it took awhile but if you wont instant results then use chemicals

There are a few lawn fungus that can cause damage to lawns but White tips on grass most often caused by a lawn disease Called powdery mildew also when you mow the lawn you could have damaged it with dull mower blades or it can be damaged from drought or dry season
          In dry season make sure you water the lawn preferably early morning and water thoughly
          After 4/5 mowing look at your blades keep your lawn blades sharp
          You can also rub in your lawn some coffee thats been known to help mildew sometimes when i water my plants i either use left over fresh coffee or blackstrap molassis
          I hope yana what ever you use you save your roses take care

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021