1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Roses fall over at slightest rain

Discussion in 'Roses' started by tim091, Jul 18, 2019.

1. tim091

tim091 Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    Very light rain shower and the weight of the water is too much for my roses. I am having to stake them all up, which looks unattractive.

They were transplanted to this garden a year ago so this is their first full summer here. I didn't prune them this spring to give them a chance to get over the shock of moving. They seem to have survived the move wonderfully and are producing huge amounts of blooms this year.

Aside from black spot the only problem is this falling over when it rains. Any ideas or is staking normal?

IMG_20190718_060506437.jpg

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,805
    Good morning @tim091 my friend have you any information ie Name etc could it possibly be a climber?:smile:

3. tim091

tim091 Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    Good morning. It shouldn't be a climber! By that I mean my late mother-in law (a lifelong rose enthusiast) selected six roses for us, one of which was a climber and this one isn't it! Possible that Notcutts had it wrongly labelled I suppose.

Some of the others rose bushes need staking, which I put down to them being a bit leggy after not pruning them t IMG_20190718_063202067.jpg his spring, but this one seems the most susceptible to rain
    weight.

4. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,805
    Good morning @tim091 I have an Ena Harness which because of the heavy blooms is well known for this behaviour,I usually use bamboo canes and tie each Rose cane to one bamboo cane,but when it comes to pruning them I always cut back hard to about 6/12 inches,hope this helps:smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • tim091

tim091 Gardener

Ratings:
      +46
      Thanks for the reassurance @wiseowl. I will stake it up, prune hard next spring and see where we are at next summer.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,805
        No worries my friend you are most welcome:smile: