1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Roses - How deep do the roots go?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Black Dog, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Moin everyone,

I'd like to know if anyone here has some experience with the maximum depth a rose's roots can reach.

With the latest draughts on the one hand, and the knowledge that our groundwater is only 4-5 meters away, I'd like to know if our lovely climbers ('Golden Gate' and 'Warm Welcome') will be able to reach it once they are grown up. Would save me a lot of worrying when we leave for summer vacation if I knew they can survive without damage.

Has anyone here ever dug out a big rose as a whole and can elaborate?

• Like Like x 1
    • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +18,167
      They go down quite a few feet. I would think a climbing rose will have deeper roots than a bush because they are bigger.
      I don't think they'd reach as far as 4 - 5 metres though but I'd have thought they were deep enough to get enough water unless the drought is severe.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,336
      I would think a meter or so, certainly I've never watered a rose planted in the ground.
      Going back to the hot dry summers of the mid 70s I don't recall any roses not surviving.
      They are widely grown in the Middle East and so I wouldn't worry about them too much.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
        Ratings:
        +1,136
        Well that is good to hear @NigelJ
        And you are absolutely right regarding the origins of roses. Guess I should just wait and see for myself.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +14,384
          They are one of the few shrubs that survive here without watering, and droughts can last for 3 months. That is on clay soil, though. I have found that under stress grafted roses sucker abundantly, which is a pain. The solution is to propagate replacement plants from cuttings :)

• Like Like x 2