1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Roses under oak tree!

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Jo Karlsson, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Jo Karlsson

Jo Karlsson Apprentice Gardener

Design visualiser
    Ratings:
    +1
    Morning everyone! Thanks for letting me join forum

I have a little question about the rather unusual position of my roses, they’re under an oak tree Inherited a 70’s garden last year and everything was overgrown... They’re sort of up about 5ft from where the oak is rooted, the soil isn’t too bad, they get sun at certain times of the day and they seem to be quite happy there!

However, they are against quite an ugly old fence and look really lonely during the winter months (after I cleared all the weeds etc around them last year) What evergreens or winter interest perennials can I plant around them? Thought maybe clematis armandii against the fence? Any ideas and suggestions very welcome! No idea what variety the roses are, but they’re peachy pink/orange and pink/red and smell gorgeous East facing position.

Thanks all! x

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,492
    Welcome Jo. :) If the roses are healthy and blooming well then they are probably happy where they are. As they are under a tree it would be an idea to feed them a couple of times a year as the tree will be sapping nutrients from the ground. With their height being around 5ft, would you know whether they are shrub roses or climbers? Pictures if you have any would be a great help.

Roses need space and air as they are susceptible to disease, so it's not a good idea to plant other shrubs around them. Low growing, such as ground hugging plants are possible as they will remain clear of the branches.

3. Jo Karlsson

Jo Karlsson Apprentice Gardener

Design visualiser
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you Sheal!

I meant they’re bedded higher than the tree, sort of terraced, probably about 4 ft of Norfolk topsoil, so guessing that’s how they stay fairly healthy

ok will look at maybe some nice ground cover ideas instead :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,492
      Yes, the tree roots will grow down or across so your roses are in a good position being higher.