Rotovator screaming

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Denton Dave, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Denton Dave

Denton Dave Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all

I started the Rotovator this afternoon and there was an awful screaming noise coming from the starter pull cord area. I stopped it pulled the cord that was jammed, then restarted and it appears to be OK It is only a small motor 3.5 hp any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks

Dave

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,887
    I haven't worked on one, but I would imagine that the pull cord rotates a sort of flywheel which has some sort of sprung clutch that releases once the engine has started; that being the case, it sounds to me as though this has stuck on, or failed to release when the engine started, hence the scream. I reckon that it will almost certainly be some sort of centrifugal device, so if the engine started running and was a bit slower than normal or the clutch springs were a bit slow to react (cold weather), that could well be the cause. If the problem has now cleared, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Denton Dave

Denton Dave Gardener

Ratings:
      +20
      "I wouldn't worry too much about it".
      Sounds good to me, it is well due for a service I will see if I can get some oil, do you know what oil should be used, I will probably require some other parts for it, I did struggle to get it going. It amazes me how it starts after being left in a shed for the winter.

Thanks for the help
      Dave

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +48,887
      If it is a two stroke, it probably doesn't have any oil in it - they generally have the oil mixed in with the fuel at a given ratio. Or were you referring to chain/gear oil? If so, I personally would use Hypoid EP80/90 if it is still available (should be). Servicing is pretty simple though; all you really need to do is check everything is clean, lubricate chains and drives, replace the spark plug and check that both LT and HT leads are secure and in good condition.

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      My advice as regards oil would be very careful as to choice. The correct type, viscosity and so on should be given in that unopened-by-males thing known as an instruction book.:snork: If one is not available, then use our old friend Google or contact whoever sells the machine new.

If the engine is a 3,5hp Briggs and Stratton, be careful. Some older ones use a straight 30, other newer ones use a multigrade. Older engines tend to burn a lot of oil when multigrade is used, which is not good for the environment or the life of the engine!

As regards gearboxes. A lot do use Hypoid oil, but some use engine oil. My Honda for example.

So to repeat myself, check with the supplier or manufacturer first as to what should be used.

• Like Like x 1
      • Denton Dave

Denton Dave Gardener

Ratings:
        +20
        Thanks all for the replies, I have looked on the internet quickly there is information available to looks like I will be able to get it back into good shape.

Sandy, know what you mean about the manuals

Thanks
        Dave