1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rowan maintenance - any advice?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by MrsRake, Aug 27, 2020.

1. MrsRake

MrsRake Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I planted a beautiful rowan in the far corner of my garden, well away from my house. It has grown up in 4 years and is now about 12 foot high. It has a lot of lower branches below waist height. Can I simple saw these off to make the trunk taller, or will they fall off later? Most rowans in my area have long trunks.

I’ve no problem with it reaching say 30 foot tall, but I want a tree, not a shrub.

• Like Like x 1
    • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,330
      Hi @MrsRake I would trim them off neatly - I did the same to raise the crown of an acer in my previous garden - made it less shrubby and more tree-y. Just be careful about doing it nicely - I understand they don't recommend treating the cut ends any more, just leaving them to seal themselves.

• Like Like x 1