1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rowan trees or Mountain Ash

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Rab, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Rab

Rab Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know if you get male and female rowan trees. I have six holy trees I grew from seed and only one so far has ever had any berries. I wondered if my young rowan tree will ever bear fruit or if it's the same as holly where you get both male and female.

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  3. Rab

Rab Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link I've put it into my favourites. Hope it is a hybrid and eventually bears fruit as it is growing nicely where it is and my old place had 2 at the front door and I'm a sentinmental old fool about some things.

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I had a something self-seed itself in the rockery in my front garden. It grew to about 24" in one season and I thought 'this looks pretty cool - think I'll let it grow!' Then I looked it up and found that it was a mountain ash from a neighbour's plot and that they grew to 20 METRES high! Suddenly it seemed like a good idea to uproot it but that was easier said than done - it's roots were already HUGE!

[ 16. August 2005, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: michaelmasdaisy ]

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Mmmm I have the same problem with a neighbours sycamore. However there are some lovely rowans/sorbus - there is one I want for my woodland bit of garden, which is small but fabulous leaf and fruit colour in the autumn and winter. Maybe next year [​IMG]