1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rugosa prune

Discussion in 'Roses' started by MAJ, Jul 14, 2020.

1. MAJ

MAJ Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Hi there,

I'm a bit confused about what to do with Rosa rugosa. Rather, should it look shrubby or climbing. It's been planted East facing, so don't know if it's just trying to reach sun. Should I try to train it on the fence, or cut back to be more shrubby, after flowering? I know it's classed as a Shrub rose, just not sure what to do, as it's not like the usual woody rose stems I'm used to. Any advice welcome.
    P1050737.JPG P1050734 crop.jpg

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,608
    Rugosa's are shrub roses but grow tall, 6 - 8ft. To help them fill out they are best pruned but I would leave it now until it's in it's dormant period over winter and early spring as with all roses. I suggest pruning it to what is the middle cross bar on the fence and take out any dying or crossing stems. Rugosa's are a species rose so will eventually put up new shoots not only at the base but from their roots, not necessarily close to the mother plant.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Islander77

Islander77 Keen Gardener

Various , allegedly retired
      Ratings:
      +1,218
      Mine here are wild now and glorious. I just let them rip. Years ago the council ripped out the border on the lane and a kind neighbour planted white and pink/ red rugosa and they have never been touched and are thick and bushy with a fine crop of rose hips which I harvest for syrup.

• Islander77

Islander77 Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,218
      Just been admiring some of mine. CIMG2878 (2).JPG

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • MAJ

MAJ Gardener

Ratings:
        +28
        Thank you @Sheal! I read that pruning after flowering was best for these? But is that only if they're already in decent shape then?

• MAJ

MAJ Gardener

Ratings:
        +28
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,608
          It doesn't make any difference what condition the rose is in unless of course it's diseased. If you prune Rugosa's after flowering, or dead head the flowers they won't produce hips which birds love to eat when ripe. I have Rugosa's and prune them the same time as my other roses in late winter or early spring.

By all means prune yours now if you wish but don't expect to see many if any flowers again during this growing season.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Islander77

Islander77 Keen Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,218
            Thank you for this wisdom. Which allows the bush to fulfil its functions! There is a high thick hedge of rugosa along the lane by this dwelling; it has never been tended except maybe a chopping where it obstructs the lane, and is now thick with hips. Which as you say are there for the birds and for us.

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1