1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Runner Beans in big pots.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by silu, Jun 19, 2015.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    As a fairly novice veg grower apart from the greenhouse types (Toms Cucs etc) I have seriously underestimated the powers of a heated propagator and been VERY:) successful with germination of all the vegetables I sowed in it and have run out of room in the veg patch.

I have a spare 10 Runner Bean seedlings which are growing like triffids and need to go somewhere. I have 2 very large plastic pots which I bought trees in years ago. They are approx. 45cm (17 ins in "old money") in diameter and depth. If I put a wigwam of canes in the pots would the pots be big enough to support 5 plants each. I know Runners need loads of water so I would place the pots close to water butts to ensure I didn't let them go short. If 5 is too many plants how many could I plant in the tubs? I am making a mental note to increase said veg patch during the winter:)

2. utopiacraig

utopiacraig Apprentice Gardener

mortgage Adviser and Gardener
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Silu 5 runners should easily fit in there i grew 3 in a normal builders bucket and got a good crop, i would probably top them out at about 6 foot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Silu , I grew 6 runners up a cane wigwam in a 17" container . As utopiacraig said I topped them at 6 foot . I gave the pot a little turn every 4 days or so , so all the plants got equal sun . They were very productive ! I think the skill bit is knowing at what size to pick the beans to maximize the taste and tenderness.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Thanks both, my wigwams are duly up and seedlings planted:fingers crossed:. As per I have put some stones in the bottom of the pots and added a fair dose of well rotted manure to the growing medium. Now all I need to do is wait. My longest canes are 6ft so the beans will have to get topped at just under that (obviously bit of cane buried in the pot). I think I'll have to invest in longer canes next year. This veg growing is quite hard work isn't it:phew:? What with a 8ftx 20ft greenhouse stuffed with Toms Cucs , Lettuce, Courgettes etc and loads of other veg up and doing in my veg plot I'm running round like Topsey.. I am busier now that when I ran my own business, at least with that I had the odd day off at the weekends:).