Runner Beans

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by KeithB, May 18, 2005.

1. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,022
    I am not growing them but a neighbour has 2 tubs in our communal garden but a lot of flowers remain unpolinated and drop off.
    A local nursery gardener has planted 4 rows the length of his field but they are not growing well. Too dry and too hot and a lack of natural polinators .
    It is too large an area to water so I feel all the hard work he put in to build their climbing frames will come to nothing. He normally sells loads of them from his stall by the roadside and makes a bit of money,
    Jenny namaste

• Informative Informative x 2
      Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +8,190
      My Runner Beans are going off very quickly to made seed. I'm picking them to store in the bottom of my fridge.

It appears that in this very hot weather most plants are trying to make seed asap.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +117,298
        You can help discourage them from going to seed by watering them very heavily two to three times a week (in this drought three times would be best). If you only water them lightly but frequently they will not send their roots deeper and the hot dry weather will make them want to set seed. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
        • Informative Informative x 2