1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Runner Beans

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by rosietutu, Jul 31, 2014.

1. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    Well now most of you will have chomped your way though a few plates of runner beans, What I would like to ask you ? Which in your opinion had the best flavour.
    I personally have come to the conclusion that flavour has been compromised by yield. Look forward to your comments.:sad:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,051
    It's Enorma for me, wonderful taste.

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Climbing French beans are considered the best tasting "runners" :) in this household. We don't like Runners very much ...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        I grow Scarlet Emperor every year and never eat one:rolleyespink: they're grown for family and friends as I prefer French beans:dbgrtmb:

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
        "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
        Ratings:
        +4,445
        French Beans [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
        • alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,073
          Scarlet Emperor picked very young are great, but my favourite bean is Bridgwater Climbing French bean.

a-a

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,330
          Having experimented with many varieties over the years (used to grow at least half a dozen varieties each year) I've reduced them down to just one variety - Polestar. This isn't necessarily the tastiest but is one of the tastier varieties - and everyone has their own taste buds :heehee:.

Some of the varieties have had different growing and cropping characteristics depending on the climate of the particular year. Some grow OK when it's a cold wet Spring but not so good when it's a drier and hotter one. We've found that Polestar have been voted, by my customers, as the best overall flavour of the ones that give a consistent good yield.

No runner beans like it to be too hot and sunny :sad:

I grow approx. 200 plants each year and, subject to rabbits :mad: and slugs, have been extremely happy with the yield each year. Thing were a bit slow this year (the rabbits didn't help) but they're getting away well now and are tasty and stringless (as long as they're not left to get too big - 12" max.)

The new variety of French bean (Monte Christo), which we're trialling this year, has been giving a superb yield and is the tastiest Frenchie that we've ever grown - albeit just a little too sweet for me (Mrs Shiney loves them :blue thumb:). I shall be growing them in future as our main French crop.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Ah well ... I don't like all of them either, we are selective on varieties. Family likes what we call Flat Beans - they look like runners, but are soft not crunchy (not every one's choice, I'm sure), and then we also like the tubular Haricot type beans - I can't be doing with stooping to pick Dwarf French, so grow the climbing ones to save my back :) (Although grew some Dwarf French this year [wrongly labelled seed packet Grrrr!] and they started cropping a couple of weeks earlier than my Runners and Climbing French, so think I will grow half a dozen of them in future years for the first early crop :))

• rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +434
          Looking thru my seed box discovered a packet of climbing french beans Unwins Sultana, soaked them overnight will plant them later today hopefully they will come on when the runners have finished.