Sad Roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Sheryll, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Sheryll

Sheryll Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +16
    Hi everyone,

I’m new to forum and I’m loving it so far!

I have some rose questions that I hope someone can help me with?

I have a yellow rose hedge at the front of my property (roses are China Town) which are about two years old. It hasn’t quite filled out as much as I’d like as I’ve had awful trouble with black spot and greenfly. I’ve noticed that last summers black spot really took a toll on the roses health.

This year I’m determined to fight it so I’ve started spraying a hydrogen peroxide mix around the base and the stems of the roses (accidentally used a sprayer which was once used for weed killer but that’s another thread) to kill the over wintering spores.

I’ve also seen a few recipes which include neem oil, baking soda, milk and garlic so will also try these out. Has anyone had any success with these?

My main question relates to when I go to prune them back on St.Patrick’s day. My uncle has told me to prune them back hard to encourage new growth. He said I’ll not get as many blooms this year but it will be worth it for the healthy growth and the ‘bushy’ / ‘hedge’ effect I’m going for.

What are your thoughts?

2. DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,860
    I struggle with Roses here in France and admit that feeding has been lacking..but they start off really healthy and succumb to black spot and yellowing leaves within a month of so..I have nearby a neighbour who has fantastic roses and vast amounts of them to care for, have seen his care, spraying, de-heading. digging around the bases, he obviously knows exactly what is needed but seems like a lot of work to achieve such beauties...My daughter bought me one last year as a birthday pressie whilst on holiday here in her french property. It looked ok but I could see it was not that healthy and was right, within weeks it lost nearly all its leaves...bad stock obviously...Will be interested also to hear of any good answers.
    Welcome Sheryll, you have come to a very helpful garden forum with lots of experience in different fields...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sheryll

Ratings:
      +16
      @DianneW that’s quite interesting to hear as I assumed that my location (North East Ireland) was not helping due to the constant rain!! I’m assuming you’d get much more sunshine but yet still having the same problem!

I’m going to feed one week (Tom’s tonic) and spray the following with one of the combos above. Hopefully this will have some impact tho it’s exactly as you say - they start off ok then boom game over!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,371
        I don't spray roses for blackspot , I mulch roses in spring with compost / manure to trap BSpot spores from splash back up on to the foliage , it isn't 100% effective like most things but does help , you have to clear up old leaves etc Ideally when they fall off in autumn to help with general hygiene . The spray is a prevention than a cure .

Pruning , they can be cut back hard down to 12cm that how you'd treat a hybrid tea rose and they will still happy grow away and flower . I'd cut back hard if you have weak spindly growth .
        Seen as Chinatown is a Floribunda they can be pruned higher up 30cm is most common , they can be pruned even higher up if you want a more bush / shrub rose appearance but pruning is more selective and strategic , flower will be higher so it more of a back of the border sort of pruning .

• Like Like x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,860
          I will take some photos of some that are looking good with new growth and you will soon see the downward cycle a little later on...

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,364
          • Sheryll

Ratings:
            +16
            Thanks @Perki I’ll maybe take them down to 12cm as they are so thin and spindly. Unfortunately I can’t mulch as I have slate down but have been feeding with uncle toms tonic via a sprayer and they do seem to respond well to that. Fingers crossed the hydrogen peroxide works and kills at least some of the spores :(

• Like Like x 1
            • Sheryll

Ratings:
              +16
              Thanks @pete I’ll look this up!

• DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,860
              The roses I will photo ..two in a planter and were absolutely beautiful, at first the amount of buds the following flowers were a picture...change very quickly...pruned heavyly cleared any leaves and changed some of the top soil..did not spray with anything..very much against any chemicals..Used washing up liquid and water when the green fly appeared...
              .Another photo that I will take to show progress..is two other roses that are in the ground against a bamboo trellis of a climbing type...

• Like Like x 1
              • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                Ratings:
                +6,097
                Generally speaking. Once you see Black Spot on your plants, it's too late. The damage is done. Remove all affected foliage and burn, DO NOT COMPOST. Clear up fallen leaves and burn. The spores can live under the soil and can reinfect plants again. A mulch of horsemanure will help to stifle any buried spores. Spaying against Black Spot, is only a kind of preventative.

• Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Sheryll

Ratings:
                  +16
                  Thanks @Mike Allen I’ve been so strict with the clearing etc and I’m hoping starting to spray now will help a bit. That’s if the weed killer hasn’t killed everything in sight...

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                    Ratings:
                    +6,097
                    Point worth remembering. Never use a sprayer for more than one type of spray, and never mix one spray with another. Always clearly label your sprayer.

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +100,834
                      @Sheryll
                      Hi Sheryll, welcome to Gardeners Corner:love30::thumbsup:

First off, do you know the variety name of the Rose:scratch:??. Modern roses are now being bred to be disease resistant but the older Roses are more likely to be affected and infected. So, if you know the name of the Rose we might be able to tell you if it is susceptible to disease. If so, then you will always be battling with it even with the most stringent of care. Black Spot and Rust are Fungi and borne on spores and love warm, humid, air to spread and grow. So, while you're taking great care to use this and that potion it will not stop the Fungi but might help to reduce it.

I agree with Perki.:love30:, but you need to leave some buds on the stems even when pruning hard.
                      Also, Roses are hungry plants, so feeding them with a dressing of Blood, Fish and Bone meal will help them become stronger and able to resist disease. Then just before the Roses start to flower give them a weekly/fortnightly feed of Tomato Feed to continue giving them the ability to grow on strongly.

I would be careful with that mix as, while it does kill Fungi spores, it can also kill plants on contact.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • Sheryll

Ratings:
                        +16
                        @ARMANDII thanks for welcome, it’s a great forum and I’ve enjoyed reading through the posts!

The rose is ‘Chinatown’ and it was recommended to be one of the best if you wanted a rose hedge as it is meant to be disease resistant (I’d now disagree). I have a beautiful, healthy ‘Sheila’s perfume’ which is huge and never picks up the black spot - I should have planted more of those roses!

The hydrogen mix (3%) (200mls - 4l) was very diluted so I’m hoping it’s ok - I’m more worried about the sprays previous use (weed killer) but my husband claims he throughly washed it after using it over a year ago. Only time will tell I guess. I’ll not make that mistake again!

I definitely up the feeding regime and will try your recommendations

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                        +100,834
                        @Sheryll

I wouldn't worry too much, Sheryll, as although chemicals can get absorbed into the walls of Plastic Sprayers, (I'm guessing that the Sprayer was plastic), it would be so minute that it wouldn't be enough to leach back out into other mixes of whatever you've been using. I have several pump spray marked with what can go into them after making the same mistake in the early years. Weed Killer I now use only for Couche Grass and find it easier to by the 5 litre Weed Killer cans that have a pump spray incorporated as it keep everything separate. Your Husband did the right thing in washing the spray out after use but it is easier, for your blood pressure and anxiety to use separate containers.:thumbsup: