1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sage - any advice on successful growing?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by rovingricey, May 7, 2010.

1. rovingricey

rovingricey Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Or should that be 'sage advice'? (:hehe:)

Over the past year I have bought three different types of sage plant, normal, variegated and purple and am not having much luck keeping any of them alive in my borders.

Would I be better off keeping them in a pot?

Does anyone have any tips on successful sage growing? How hardy are they? Perhaps our terribly cold winter was to blame?

2. stu

stu Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    not one of the easy hurbs to grow, need a lot of care to grow, lots of peple make the mistake of thinking sage is a hardy plant, as you have found out its not that easy to look after

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,721
    I'm not sure about hardiness as I've always considered it to be totally hardy, but as I think it comes from the Med area, I'm not sure its totally hardy in Scotland.
    I had a plant of the plain green variety that grew like crazy and flowered every summer, so I'm inclined to think that maybe your getting very low temperatures.

It needs a hot sunny position that is well drained.

4. rovingricey

rovingricey Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I thought it was supposed to be quite hardy but then again we did have temperatures of minus 18 this winter at the worst point!

From what you say, the soil might be as much of a problem as the temperature since our soil is very sticky clay and we get a lot of rain that takes a long while to drain away. I'm gradually trying to improve soil quality but with limited funds it's going to take a while to see the benefits!

Thanks for the info though, I hadn't thought so much about the drainage being the key to the problem.

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I'd go with what Pete says - well drained soil and sunshine. I have several Sage plants that always make it through winter. They do get a bit woody but a trim in Spring and new growth appears.

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Crossed posts! Them in a raised bed of large pots.

7. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    sage i have ent seen any anywhere, wheres the best place for seeds.

8. rovingricey

rovingricey Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  9. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
  10. Joelsim

Joelsim Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I sowed mine on the kitchen windowsill for a month or so. Then moved them to the coldframe and planted in larger pots.

2 are still in the coldframe and one I have planted in the garden under an old plastic bottle as a cloche - seems to be growing just fine so far. When the weather becomes reliably hotter I shall remove the plastic bottle.

11. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    If you go to "Herbs and Wildflowers" threads you will find a mine of info :lollol:

12. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the info in this post.
    I have problems with sage as well and have always assumed sage to be a hardy plant. Maybe I will move it into a pot or in to another location in the garden where the soil is better.