1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sandy Soil

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bigalmsn, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Bigalmsn

Bigalmsn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I have moved to a different house by the coast and as the back garden was just a wasteland and am a long way past starting a new garden I've had stones/membrane put down. To break it up a bit I've put some containers out but I want to plant a few bushes direct in the ground to cut down going round with a watering can. The problem is the soil is nearly all sand and because of the membrane underneath the stones I don't know how to add mulch other than very close on the surface round the bush. Any ideas please on what plants will grow in these conditions without a lot of mulching? Thanks

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
      Ratings:
      +1,648
      Welcome. You haven't specified what coast you're near! This would have a bearing on what I would suggest.
      Lavendula, caryopteris, some ceanothus, buddleia, but you could look at some of the succulents like agave with montana, striata and parryi some examples.
      A problem that you could encounter is that some plants like the dry open sandy soil, but resent the salty air. Chamaerops would be a palmy option, but I'm bias as I like Mediterranean style more than cottagy:)

• Like Like x 2
      • Bigalmsn

Bigalmsn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        Flounder Thanks for your interest. I'll try ceanothus...we've had it before at the other house. Can you suggest a quick spreading low ground cover. My thought was to cut the membrane under any outgrowing tendrils and propagate them that way. We're in Southport by the way. Thanks

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
        Ratings:
        +1,648
        If you can keep the ground damp enough, vinca minor spreads far and wide and quickly....sometimes too quickly! Illumination has nice variegation. Soleirolia soleirolii is another one that likes moisture. Cerastium tomentosum is another thug, but does alright on drier soil. There is quite a few of the sedums that spread if you blink, but if you mix up leaf and stem colours, they make a nice carpet. Thyme, always worth a go.
        Being in the tropical North West, I stand by my earlier suggestions!:)

• Like Like x 1