1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sarah's long term project

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by SarahT, Aug 17, 2013.

1. SarahT

SarahT Gardener

Nurse
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi All,

I thought I'd show you all some photo's of what has taken place already this year. As posted before, we moved into the house in March this year. Nothing had been done in the garden for at least the last 20 years if not longer. House belonged to an old lady in her late 80's who had lived in it since it was built in 1949.

Lots to do both inside and out so know nothing is going to happen overnight.

First few are estate agent details and were taken last year (origional sale fell through, but better for us)
    2912_EME301565_IMG_00_0000.jpg 2912_EME301565_IMG_01_0000.jpg 2912_EME301565_IMG_06_0000.jpg

2. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    that is what I would call a Blank canvas!

A quick question, there seems to be a hedge to the right, sandwiched between the neighbour's fence, and some corrigated iron?

3. SarahT

SarahT Gardener

Nurse
    Ratings:
    +42
    Probably easier to start with the front.

Eventual plan is for area on right of path to become off street parking.

border dug and planted this year and lawn treated with weed and feed as was full of moss, could do with another treatment.

248331_10151390461092691_579790220_n.jpg P1010671.JPG P1010885.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • SarahT

SarahT Gardener

Nurse
      Ratings:
      +42
      Border in a bit more detail.

Salix I bought last year and cost me a whole £1 (it looked really sorry for itself) Hydrangea was also similar price and tiny. The bits of Yukka (sp) has come from my mum's as did the sweet williams. Think I have probably only spent £20 on plants, rest I had collected over the years or been donated from my mum. The annuals are from a cheap seed mix i got in the po und shop and apart from the night scented stock I have no idea what is what :doh: P1010673.JPG P1010886.JPG P1010675.JPG
      P1010888.JPG

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Something to ponder. With some careful consideration, you can have the best of both. Parking, and something like a lawn.

At the National Railway Museum in Shildon, their car park has that hard plastic grid stuff and grass growing in it. The plastic stuff prevents the weight of cars from compacting the ground too much for the grass to grow.

In a different version, my uncle built a drive once that was effectively a flat rockery. He planted up the gaps between the stones with low growing mat forming plants that can take punishment. I wish I'd listened enough to know what plants he'd used, but sadly it was before I developed any interest in gardening so I don't know, but a bit of research should turn up the answers.

With either of these strategies, you should find you don't have the local planning department on your case, seeing as you need planning permission now to build a drive.

• SarahT

SarahT Gardener

Nurse
        Ratings:
        +42
        Sian, corrugated sheet will eventually go and it's a load of braken growing behind it. Apparently it was put up to stop the chickens escaping!!

Now the back:
        Shed has come down as it was a very Sunday shed (rather holey. Plan is to extend the concrete to some decking/patio for entertaining space. Gravel on right to go to lawn, once we deal with the horsetail. left hand side to become more working garden, one raised veg bed in so far and planning to have 4 in total.

Have planted plum tree (victoria) and apple (cox orange pippin) also have a crab apple to go in.
        P1010668.JPG P1010879.JPG P1010880.JPG

Herb garden progress:
        531992_10151334029927691_2007631256_n.jpg P1010882.JPG

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,594
          It's amazing how quickly you can make a difference to a blank canvass Sarah. It's coming on very well. :)