1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sarcococca

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Gay Gardener, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,978
    I put a couple of S. Confusa in last springtime I think, about 9 inches high and healthy mound looking, in very light shade and not bad soil. They have just sat there and look slightly unwell and I'm fed up with looking at the surround bareness I was expecting them to grow into.
    Are these duds and should I just get rid to avoid further disappointment? I'm not putting up with a summer of patheticness from them!
    I think @Lolimac has a nice one IIRC, what do you think?

Cheers
    GG

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,808
    Oh I'm sure Lol has a great one... ;)

Make sure they're properly heeled in and give them a seaweed feed. Usually quite unfussy plants although I did have one that performed exactly as you're describing. Was fine after a year or two though. Slow growing to start with.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Mines not looking too happy either (Sarcococca:biggrin:) @Gay Gardener ,sad looking yellowing leaves:frown:...I gave it a dose of epsom salts a few weeks back which has improved it slightly but now I'm going to hit it with the sea weed..I think it's going to be a case of suck it an see:dunno:...

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Gay Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,978
        Thanks you two. @Lolimac do I remember correctly that yours is rather a nice mature big bush (as opposed to my two little mounds)? And if yours is looking seedy I don't hold out much hope for mine ...

I think mine are going to be put along the dark side of the house once I find a replacement, any ideas that would fulfill the same duties - 2ft itsh, evergreen, nice spreader?

Ta
        GG

• merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,087
        You could try a dwarf Rhodo GG :)

Sarcococca is a slow grower - I've had mine for a few years and it's still not very big.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,497
        We have a number of large plants (6ft wide and 4ft high - pruned regularly) and they started slowly before suddenly taking off. I guess it was about two years for them to take properly and then a couple more before they were a significant size.

Lovely plants with a beautiful scent.

• Gay Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,978
        @merleworld - I don't think I have the proper soil or location for rhrodos here. Anyway, I struck while the iron was hot and they are potted up to be put elsewhere in the garden less prominent so they can poodle along. Got a lovely largeish Thuja Rheingold this morning which will be planted during a break in the showers. Instant solution, my kind of gardening ...

Thanks all. Good luck with getting yours back in fine fettle @Lolimac

GG

• Friendly Friendly x 1