Sarra's last bit of rough.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sarraceniac, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    No. I'm is not having an illicit relationship.

I posted a couple of these pics earlier under a different thread but thought I would put the whole project in it's proper place, The dustbin. :D

We had some garden left undeveloped, about 8 metres by 10 and Mrs. Sarra suggested that, as I've been retired for 2 years last Sunday, it may be an idea to start developing it into a picnic area.

So I bought my mate, George, from down the road, a couple of litres of martini and he agreed to put in some hard landscaping stuff for me as long as I continued buying the booze. And as I'm a wimp I agreed.

I will add extra developments later but I think it's time I posted the early work which is now nearing completion after a very drunken winter.

So:

This is what we started with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The greenhouse went in and the frame for the picnic area went down:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The cladding of the frame to keep the rats out :D

[​IMG]

And today it didn't hail too much so we got the decking finished:

[​IMG]

Watch this space. When the weather picks up I start the serious stuff. Oh. And the bath? That will end up as a bog garden.

3. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    [​IMG] Looking good john, your gonna really enjoy your G.H. and Decking this year, this time last year we were redeveloping our garden, and I love it, love it..Youv'e worked hard, and a new kitchen, You deserve a medal..Dee... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Looking good John,you and George have made a cracking job ot it and the cladding will hopefully keep the unmentionables out unless they are partial to a bit of timber :D Looking forward to you updates and by the way your greenhouse looks fab :cool: [​IMG]

5. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Kandy. They'd better be partial to a bit of tin plate too. Because that is what it is backed with. :D

6. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Well done Sarraceniac. Wouldn't expect anything less from you [​IMG] .

Now await the pics of you enjoying a glass or 2 of Martini, a litre of .....you'd better make sure that area is re-inforced John :D

cheers

7. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    Excellent job John. And I see you are going to have a bath al fresco as well - or did that hold the Martini. :D

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,374
    So the sarras are going in the bath, are they John? :D

9. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I'll have you know I neither drink from, nor bath, in the bog. [​IMG]

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    looks good, only thing id do is render up the block wall.

11. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Want to do something with that wall PG. The only thing I can think of is to cover it with trellis and hide it with climbers. In summer it stays in the sun all day. If anyone has any other ideas I would be glad to hear them.

12. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Tidy job there Sarra ;)
    Perhaps paint the blocks with green masonary paint,then what about some trellis fixed to support posts that slope from the border to the top of the fence posts and fixed to them.You would have a stronger frame then.
    Choose evergreen climbers,Clem's,Roses for the long term and for now whack in some Sweet Peas,Canary Creepers,Glory Vine....

13. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    John. You have got the same problem as most of us. Its not just the wall, its the fence and the neighbours as well.

I think there is a lot to be said for something tall to break up if not hide the boundary. I don't have the answers, but I have just got a Miscanthus sinensis 'Malepartus', a grass which can grow up to seven feet or so - its also exceedingly thick. http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/grasses/classid.2000002832/ I am also growing Macleya cordata (Plume poppy) from seed. It also grows seven to eight feet, but is not so thick - mine's three inches at the moment. http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/perennials/other-perennials/macleaya-microcarpa-kelways-coral-plume/ClassID.3217/

One plant that I would love to have - but can't easily find is Helianthis salicifolious http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/h/images/helianthus_salicifolius_wls-02.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/h/helianthus_sa licifolius_wls.htm&h=196&w=161&sz=8&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=4BmwkRqExrWNuM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=85&prev=/images%3Fq%3DHelianthus%2Bsalicifolius%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

On a slightly smaller scale there is Eupatorium purpurea, which I have and regard as a first rate plant. A mere 5 to 6 feet.

14. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Good thinking Pal. Except the roses. We both dislike roses. Got some sweet peas in the g.house and some Boston Ivy. Love clematis so that is definitely one, perhaps a Nellie Moser 'cos Mrs Sarra loves pink flowers. I also have some Castor beans (Ricinus) germinated and that area is fairly warm. I think your idea about reinforcing the trellis is a good one.

15. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Peter, fortunately that neighbour is not the one who grows dandelions as a hobby. She's an elderly widow who won't mind what I do as long as the mess that was there is cleared up. (Although she never complained about that.) Or I could just put in a Clem. montana and wait 2 or 3 years. Wouldn't need anything else. :D

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll have to let Boss lady have a look at them.