1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Save our bees...

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Ned, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    [​IMG]It seems that Angela Leadsome is to keep the ban on pesticides that kill our bees.
    THAT was a good petition to sign :yay:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,990
      I'm all for saving bees and all kinds of wildlife.

But cant understand one thing about pesticides.
      Why is it only since the, so called, dangerous pesticides of the 60s and 70s have been phased out have we had this problem of pesticides killing bees.
      Bees were everywhere a few years ago.
      We are led to believe the modern pesticides are safer, but at the same time we have reports of them killing bees, it dont really add up to me and someone is telling a whole lot of porkies.

Where I work is a commercial apple and pear orchard, and bee hives are introduced in order to help pollination, now they spray regularly against various pests and fungal attacks.
      No bee keeper is going to put his bees in a place like that if they were to be killed by spraying.

As I say, nothing adds up.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        upload_2017-4-28_20-55-43.png

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,990
        Yes, really, I cant buy Malathion anymore or Nimrod T, or the one that was good on aphids but didn't kill ladybirds, forgotten the name it was a long time ago.
        Benlate was a good fungicide.

All the stuff we buy now is pretty ineffective, which means we repeat spray much more.

As to what the farmers are using, god knows, but I'm sure most of the stuff they have is pretty effective,.............. at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
          Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Well, I gave up using pesticides and chemical some years ago, pete, after all the negative reports on the so called modern products.:dunno::coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
          • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
            Ratings:
            +5,404
            Very thought provoking Pete. Seems you must be in the same neck of the woods as me. This subject is one that makes me want to investigate a thing or two. There is a bee keeper in our local orchards - think I might go have a chat, maybe learn more.

I understand that some kind of mite was attacking some of our bees, but have not actually followed the subject up...

• Like Like x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              "Varroa Mites Infesting Honey Bee Colonies

ENTFACT-608: Varroa Mites Infesting Honey Bee Colonies

by Ric Bessin, Extension Entomologist
              University of Kentucky College of Agriculture
              The Varroa mite has spread to and become a major pest of honey bees since their introduction into Florida in the mid 1980's. They were first reported in the Bluegrass Region of the Commonwealth in 1991 and now occur throughout the state.

[​IMG]Varroa Mite
              Varroa mites are external parasites that attack both honey bees and brood. They suck the blood from both the adults and developing brood, especially drone brood. This weakens and shortens the bee’s life. Emerging brood may be deformed with missing legs or wings. Untreated infestations of varroa mites will increase and may kill colonies. If the colonies are not examined for mites, losses may be mistaken for winter mortality or queenlessness.

The adult female mites have eight legs and reddish-brown flattened oval bodies about 1 to 1.5 mm across. They are large enough to be seen with the unaided eye on the bee’s thorax or abdomen. Their flat shape allows them to fit between the bee's abdominal segments. This mite is often confused with the bee louse. However, the bee louse, an insect, has only six legs. Its body is more circular and slightly larger.

Mites develop on the bee brood. A female mite will enter a brood cell about a day before it is capped so it is sealed in with the larva. Immature mites that emerge from the eggs she lays feed and develop on the maturing bee larva. By the time the adult bee emerges from the cell, several of the mites will have become adults, mated, and are ready to begin searching for other bees or larvae to parasitize. Inspection of the drone brood in their capped cells will often indicate whether or not a colony is infested. The dark mites are easily seen on the white pupae when the comb is broken or the pupae are pulled from their cells.

Mites spread from colony to colony by drifting workers and drones. Honey bees can also acquire these mites when robbing smaller colonies. It is best to isolate captured swarms, package bees, and other new colonies from older colonies and examine them for mites before placing them in an apiary.

Early detection of low levels of mite infestation is key to successful management. It is easier to detect infestations that are well-developed than those that are just getting started.

Apistan is a product available that will kill the mites and cause the mites to drop from the bees. Two strips should be hung in the brood nest area of the colony for about 4 weeks. This is to be used with sticky paper and a fine-mesh screen on the bottom board of a colony to capture any mites that may have been present. A considerable amount of cell cappings and other debris will also collect on the sticky paper so it is best to inspect the sticky paper carefully for mites after its removal. This method is able to detect low level infestations. Apistan strips, which contain the miticide fluvalinate, are available from most large beekeeping suppliers and can be used both for detection and treatment of varroa infestations.

If an infested colony is found, all colonies at the site should be treated with Apistan strips in the same manner. The strips are not to be used during honey flow, or when there is surplus honey present in the colony that may be removed later for human consumption. Therefore, late fall, after removal of surplus honey, or early spring, prior to honey flow, are the best times to treat for varroa mites.

Always carefully follow all label instructions with regard to the storage, use and disposal of pesticides."

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
              • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                Ratings:
                +31,942
                Well the numbers of bees here have drop and so have birds, some farmers around here have now started to spray fields which they never used to sprays before, one has just sprayed all he's danelions off, but the danelions were in full flower, now the spray has work they have all seeded, so that was a waste of time and money :snork: but the ones that the sprayer missed are still in flower :heehee:

Doing things at the right time is best as you don't have to do it again later :mute::sofa:

If things are made to kill then they will kill

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                  Ratings:
                  +6,543
                  In the past I used to spray against bugs in the garden but then a few days later found dead bumble bees on the drive at odd times and I felt so guilty that I stopped using sprays,but then read on line a few weeks later that the life cycle of the bees is quiet short so perhaps I hadn't nuked them after all.The only time I spray now is when there are greenfly on my greenhouse plants as I can't see birds flying into my greenhouse to feed on greenfly as this time of the year we have the door and windows shut anyway:biggrin:

Being housebound though these last five weeks and at other times I have been watching male and female sparrows and the odd Blue tit coming to feed on the greenfly on one of my roses by my garden gate so they are doing a cracking job of keeping the pests down and they are getting some much needed protein:biggrin:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  The best time to use Pesticides, [if there is one:dunno::doh:], is in the very early morning and the middle to the evening when the Bees are back in the Hive.

Honey Bee workers can live 6 or 7 weeks, a Queen may live up to 4 years, while a Drone can live to around 4 months.

Bumble Bee Queens can live for a year, Male Bumble Bees live for only a few weeks, while Worker Bumble Bees live up to 6 weeks.

It's probably one of the reasons, i.e. the short life, that I don't use pesticides in the garden as any losses to the Hive even by natural causes can be critical for the future of the Hive, so gardeners spraying insecticides can only cause more risk to the Bees.:dunno::coffee::snorky:

• Informative Informative x 2
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                    Ratings:
                    +6,543
                    P1100594.JPG P1100612.JPG P1100611.JPG P1100610.JPG Talking of which I saw these house sparrows last night feeding on my rose aphids and then just managed to catch a quick glimpse of a blue tit down in my flowers looking for a tasty morsel yesterday :biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
                    • Funny Funny x 1
                    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                      +2,830
                      Can you provide more info on this Tetters? What is it referring to? neonotinoids? If so this is very good news. A link would be helpful. I googled but couldn't find anything . Neonics are very harmful to bees and other pollinating insects. It is my understanding that it is applied as a seed dressing and not a substance applied during the growing phase by farmers.

This is a specific topical discussion and an important one. I think bringing up general pesticides/fungicides is a distraction from the problem of neonics.

• Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
                      +957
                      Only just found this thread Tetley. Very pleased, as was concerned majorly when I saw us vote to leave the EU. However, does this still apply as Leadsom is the leader of the commons now and not Environmental sec?

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      Hmm, not sure I agree, Redwing, as general pesticides and Fungicides are just as much a danger to insects and more generally used in the past decades than Neonicotinoids and all represent a danger to to Wildlife.:dunno::coffee:

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                      Ratings:
                      +5,404
                      Although My personal concerns for wildlife are very genuine and sincere, I cannot even try to pretend to know the ins and outs of pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides or any other 'cides' there might be. As for politics, even the politicians struggle to understand, or at least make us believe they understand what it`s all about......so when it comes down to basics, I really just try to take care of my own little corner whilst I am able. I noticed a plant today smothered with black fly, and thought ''jolly good - dinner there for someone''

When it comes to leaving the EU, why be so majorly concerned? We are just as able to think for ourselves in the United Kingdom, and make rules and regulations to follow. It seems like you are saying that we kill everything, and we need some dictator in Brussels to give us a smack and tell us how naughty we are.