1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Scam Bank Emails

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Palustris, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    Has anyone else noticed how many Scam Emails purporting to come from Banks, there are at present?
    Had one yesterday about our Llodys (sic) account. They cannot even get the spelling of the Bank's name correct.
    Just a quick reminder to all, never never, never reply via one of these Emails.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I'm just getting the fake, we couldn't deliver your parcel ones. Thats good, as i'm not expecting a parcel.

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      I find it amazing how many people still respond to these, banks DO NOT email, and as for putting your details in it`s mind boggling.

• Like Like x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        But they have phoned up and asked for details, I knew it was the bank as they were after me for being overdrawn.

I refused to give them any details as they had phoned me & they could be anybody. They said they couldn't talk to me unless I confirmed who I was. I said "Fine" & hung up:snork:

• Like Like x 1
        • alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,073
          On this subject, one of our suppliers sent us this: (I have removed the name of the company for security reasons)

"We have recently been made aware of an attempt to fraudulently obtain monies due to us from one of our major customers. A letter was written instructing a change in our bank details and new false details were provided to the customer. The letter was signed by a two people, neither of which work or have ever worked for this company.

Our bank details have not changed within the last year and if you have been contacted suggesting otherwise please get in touch on the contact number below. We believe this to be an isolated incident however we do ask you to be vigilant at this time.

This incident has been reported to the Serious Fraud Office.

Kind Regards
          Financial Director"

a-a

• The Gardening Banker

The Gardening Banker Gardener

Banker!
          Ratings:
          +47
          It's not just the Internet which is catching people out. Unfortunately I had an 87 yr old customer who had given her debit card details out to a supposed bank employee over the phone.

Not the first elderly customer who has been victim of this scam so just mention to anyone you think may fall for this! Poor lady nearly lost 9k!

• Agree Agree x 2
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            While I agree in general, perhaps it is also fair to note that not everyone, no matter how well "educated" (internet or otherwise) has the ability to spot these scams at first glance.

Mental health issues can develop in any one, of any age and of any educational background. Dementia issues can affect people, long before it becomes obvious. And, to be fair, some people are simply genuinely "trusting" (not stupid). Crikey, even having a high temperature could affect your thinking.

"Scamming" people isn't new, there's a whole history of it: door to door, postal, telephone and now ... IT. IT and the rapid rise in personal computers, combined with a world which is ever more ruled by internet usage, has raced forward at a pace which could be called frightening! Keeping up with the latest technology has become an almost full time hobby in itself.

I like to think of myself as reasonably internet savvy (been using it for 18 years; even had my own website within a month of being online :heehee: ) but ... it didn't stop me from contracting a virus last year :wallbanging: Only takes a slip of the finger on the mouse ;)

As for not giving your details to a random person in the street? Trust me, that does happen too. Unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
              Ratings:
              +3,035
              If it's a phone call and you pick up the phone tell them to write to you. And if you've got 'caller display' and it can't show the number just let it ring out.
              If an email ignore it and don't even open it, as if it's genuine they'll write.

• Agree Agree x 2