1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Scarifier Choice ?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by HarryS, Jul 15, 2012.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Wasn't sure whether to post this in the tools section or here but......

I am thinking of buying an electric scarifier for my lawns , about 100 sq metres in total . Looking in Argos they have
    Einhall Scarifier / Aerator - 1200W. £79
    or
    Qualcast Raker and Scarifier - 1200W £99
    You change the cartridge on this to rake or to scarify , what is the difference ?

Anyone with experience of these two types ? I was going to scarify , seed and top dress in early autumn . How often would I need to do this every 2 or 3 years ?
    TIA

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    I bought a cheap and cheerful raker/scarifier from B & Q some years ago but have only used it once. Although it did the job well I found it a very clumsy machine to manouvre.

I haven't used the raker on mine because the clippings box on the back of the machine couldn't cope with the amount that was being produced, I resorted to using a hand rake to clear the worst and went over the lawn after with my mower.

If I was to buy again I would buy the scarifier/aerator, the aerator being of much more use than the raker.

I hope this helps Harry. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • LoveLawn

LoveLawn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      I’m new here but I hope I can offer a bit more useful info to what Sheal has already given you.

There’s not a great deal of difference between raking and scarifying. Scarifying cuts out thatch from your lawn using blades. Raking tends to remove moss from your lawn; moss isn’t rooted in so the wire tines in rakes simply lift out the moss.

Some people recommend doing vigorous lawn scarifying only every other season as it puts quite a lot of strain on your lawn and it’ll need some time to recover.

You could take some time to read customer reviews online before you buy anything. They’re un-biased sources of useful info!

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
      • HarryS

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Thansk for the advice on this Sheal and Lovelawn , I'll start having a serious look at the end of next month. Both of the scarifiers above seem to have good reviews. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
        • ryncharlton

ryncharlton Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +3
          I can certainly support the idea of only scarifying every second season , it does remove alot of actual grass as well and the lawn certainly looks worse before it gets better. yes long term it helps alot but you certainly wont want to be doing it too often.

• Like Like x 1
          • katiew102

katiew102 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            I scarified , it did remove allot of grass , but did help the grass.. 6 months later and its looking loads better than before.. did scare me though seeing it just after it was scarified.

• Like Like x 1
            • HarryS

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              Thanks for the advice Ryn and Katie. As it seems the correct usage is about once every 2 years , I will look for a decent second hand one on Ebay. Spotted a Bosch and a Qualcast for sale near where I work !

• Like Like x 1
              • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
                Ratings:
                +6,626
              • HarryS

Retired
                Ratings:
                +16,246