1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Seascape and Sunsets Barra

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Dave W, May 16, 2015.

1. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Just home after 10 days on the Isle of Barra on the most westerly campsite and the most westerly inhabited island in Britain. Pitch was right on the edge of the Atlantic with super sunsets every evening and we never tired of watching the sea breaking over the rocks.
    Five hour ferry from Oban was great too with great views of the western islands.
    IMG_4450.JPG
    IMG_4560.JPG
    IMG_4606.JPG
    IMG_4644.JPG

• Like Like x 13
    • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
      Ratings:
      +7,491
      :wow: ....stunning photos. :love30:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
    • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,035
      Ferry crossing home was 'interesting' in a force 6-7 gale. We'd a couple of hours of rock and roll and had to make use of the grab handles a few times when moving about the boat. Ferry was cancelled the next day due to weather.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        No fishing off the back then?

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,035
        Not at 16.5 knots :-(

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,610
        Lovely pictures Dave. :dbgrtmb:

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +28,501
        Fantastic sunsets Dave, wondered where you had got to.:smile:

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Atmospheric shots, very well taken :dbgrtmb:

• Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        What time did you find it get dark on Barra Dave?Lovely place and photos and another one to add to the bucket list:smile:

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,035
        Hi Kandy
        Barra is almost due west from our home on the east coast so not much difference in sunrise/sunset times. Sunset when we were there at the start of May was around 21:15 though twilight lasted about another half hour. At this time of year we, and Barra have daylight for about an hour and twenty minutes longer than London :-)
        Barra and the Outer Hebrides are well worth adding to the bucket list - there's 130 miles north to south to explore with very varied scenery.
        We'll be on Tanera Mor in the Summer Isles in late July and I'll be on a tiny island - Eilean an Tighe in the Shiants in August for a few days' It takes a 20 mile trip by RIB through the Minch to get there so am hoping for calm seas!!

• Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        Hi Dave,I forgot that you had said that you were there recently so I expect the really long summer evenings will be showing more in July August etc.

We have stayed in a tent on the Isle of Lewis in the sand dunes at Coll sands in the early eighties and have also done Skye (Dunvegan)and the sunsets there were stunning.Everyone came out of their tents or caravans each night to watch the display and it will live with us forever.

If you ever go to Mull then you must stay at Mr Gracie's place(Sheiling Holidays) at Craignure as you are right on the edge of the Sound of Mull with distant views of Ben Nevis

We would like to go back to Scotland to tour round but as Mr Kandys dad is now in a care home we dare not go too far on our travels in case we have to pack up and come all the way back home as soon as we get there.

I'll get Mr Kandy to show me on the maps later where you are going so that I can get some idea as to where it is:smile:

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,035
        Kandy we can empathise with your situation regarding the care home - we've been through that.

We stayed on the Sheiling Holidays site on Mull a couple of years ago - great location with pub and eatery close and we watched otters in the small stream you cross to get to Craignure.
        We've visited Skye frequently - it was three times last year and stay on a coastal, club site north of Dunvegan. As you say - great sunsets and with no light pollution super starry skies.
        When I go to the Shiants we'll take the ferry to Stornoway on Lewis and stay on a site just out of Stornoway and I'll go off with some pals and leave Mrs W on site. When I return we'll maybe go across to the west coast of Lewis for a few days.
        Ferry travel to the islands will become a fair bit cheaper later this year (in Sept?) when RET - Road Equivalent Tarrifs are introduced.