1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

seasons out of synch?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by crowley, Jan 1, 2007.

1. crowley

crowley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I know I mentioned something in another forum on the weather, but was curious to hear from other people if they have had a similar experience of plants growing at the wrong time of year etc?
    I have had many summer flowers still flowering in my greenhouse even now and no daffs yet still.
    Also I was a bit cheeky last year and sewed several seedlings of plants mostly veg that should have been sewed in august and got away with it, I had a tomatoe plant that decided to start growing in my greenhousein october flowered and got very confused when it turned a bit colder and died. I still have summer lettuces in my greenhouse, pak choi which I cant rememember if should be alive still or not and spinach toscane too and some carrots and turnips that im sure are now no good??? Anyone else had anything unusul? p.s. are ladybirds usually still about and caterpillars, I have loads?
    I wonder if we are going to continue to have a mild winter/spring?

val

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Like a lot of others I have had summer flowers re-appearing in November and December - e.g. meconopsis cambrica flowering and setting seed in November. The hard frost in Decembers cut most things back - but the spring starts are early. Daffs are showing taller, winter aconites are showing bud, quince is in flower, cyclamen showing flower buds.

3. crowley

crowley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you say your cyclamen are showing flower buds?
    Mine have been flowering for a while? bizarre

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    My ones in the garden don't usually show flower buds til late January early February, so they are early for me.

Lucky you to have them earlier [​IMG]