Secondary glazing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Feb 18, 2012.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,594
    Evening all

What do we know about secondary glazing?

If there is one thing that bugs me about my house, its when there's a private party on at the church hall next door. Such as tonight. There's always music on there on a friday and saturday night, but when its normal biddy night you can't hear their music from inside our house, and if you go out in the garden, while you can hear their music, it is strangely funky (I'm old ahead of my time:)).

When there's a private do on, you tend to get the Mackerena, and the Time Warp rocking out at a trillion decibels punctuated by some low budget ageing DJ randomly chanting things like 'I wanna see you all on the dance floor' or 'if anyone has any style, dignity or self respect can they please bring some to the dj booth'.

Its not so bad that it disturbs us much. You can barely hear it in the living room, but its loud and clear in the bathroom and when you're having a nice hot soak to soothe your aching muscles, you don't really need to know that the current super cheesy piece of Europop is dedicated to whoever's birthday, wedding, or funeral it is.

But I'm not bitter about it (really I'm not, the above rant is meant tongue in cheek). I'd just like to do something about it without spoiling anyone's fun. The sound comes in through the windows (I've researched this at length). So all I need to do is sound proof the windows. Its only the side windows and the bathroom window too (just three windows in all) so shouldn't be too costly.

I've read about secondary glazing, where you effectively have another window inside the window bay. Low profile enough so it doesn't spoil anything, but significantly reducing sound, and as another plus, obviously conserving heat.

Does anyone know anything about this?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Dave

• Like Like x 1
    • watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
      +549
      most folk call it double glazing, although its not, its another "window" secured to the frame of the original window. Lots of diy kits available, but you can use perspex in a frame secured to the window.

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,594
        Well, I guess that's a very accurate and concise literal answer to my literal question:loll:

What I was really wondering is, is it effective and noise reduction to a worthwhile level? Is it something that can be done well as a DIY job? If I did it myself, and used perspex or that other plastic glass that's now common and available from the likes of B&Q, would that do a decent job compared to, say, sticking some polythene sheeting over a makeshift frame?

Generally, is there anything I need to consider that isn't obvious?

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Sorry, I posted just as I was going off for a tree.

I've done sucessful secondary double glazing on many an old house, using plastic edging strip & toggle fixings. Stops noise and heat loss.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Oh, i meant to say using 4mm plate glass.

• Like Like x 1
        • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,013
          Yes, I have done it. Its easy and fairly cheap and in terms of heat insulation, it is generally as efficient as specially fitted double glazing.

Weight is the key to sound insulation, so heavy glass will probably be better than thin plastic.

• Like Like x 1
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Buildings Research Establisment recommend a 6inch gap between paynes for effective sound insulation, use that one against double glazing salespeople when they phone up.

• Like Like x 2
            • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +4,013
              Ziggy's right. Sound insulation is very different from heat insulation.

Years ago I was chatting to a mechanic about noisy tappets on a car. I was told the best solution was to fill the inside of the rocker cover with lead. The extra mass would totally cure the problem.

• Like Like x 2
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +84,327
                I had secondary glazing before I fitted double glazed windows.
                It was 4 mm glass.

This was back in the 80s, and at the time you could buy kits.
                It was ali framing and you just had the glass cut to the correct size.

But you needed a timber framework around the window to fix it to.
                At the time you could get sliding kinds as well.

Not sure what is available these days, but it does cut out a lot of noise.

• Like Like x 1
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +117,287
                  I've had two houses with secondary glazing. Secondary glazing is a much better sound insulator than double glazing but it depends on the gap between the panes. 4mm glass is what you need to use and, preferably, at least a 2" - 3" gap.

When airports fit secondary glazing to private dwellings because they are within the compensation area they install it with an 8" gap but it's quite ugly at that depth.

Sliding units are good if the window is big enough to warrant it - if you want to have the outer window open. Sliding units are more expensive because the aluminium frame needs to have twin channels.

Although it's best if you have a timber frame you don't have to have one. When we first moved in here (40 years ago) I had secondary glazing fitted. Our existing windows were Crittall metal ones. As we had a reasonably deep window recess and sill we had the secondary glazing aluminium frame fitted to a wooden spacer and sealed directly to the plastered recess and the wooden sill.

Our wooden spacers were 2" x 1" hardwood batons fitted all round the inside of the window frame - screwed to the wall, top and sill. The aluminium frame was then glued to the batons and screwed to the wall, top and sill. The 2" baton, added to the depth of the existing inner ledge of the Crittall frame made the gap almost 3".

The sound insulation was superb and we couldn't hear any of the planes flying over. Their flight path is at 2,000ft but they drift down to as low as 1,000ft sometimes (or even lower when Idi Amin was still running planes from here). We eventually had 'modern' double glazing fitted with the standard gap (can't remember what that is) and we can hear the planes - but not a lot. We are 100ft from the road and we can sometimes hear the deep base of the stereos on passing cars (the ones where you can see the sides of the car bulging from the volume :heehee:) but we never heard them with secondary glazing.

If you can afford it, and the windows are wide enough, then I'd definitely go for sliding units. Bathroom windows aren't usually wide enough for sliding units (ours was - just) but, if not, you would need to think of a means of ventilation otherwise you would get mold on your walls.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +3,089
                    I've got lots of secondary double glazing as I'm too stingy to pay for the proper stuff and anyway, I have lots of 1930s coloured glass panels that I'm not parting with.

I use sheets of 2mm or 3mm acrylic with magnetic tape around the edges. You have to edge the window aperture with the opposite polarity tape. If you get the technique right it's neat and unobtrusive even when you take it off in Summer, I'm a dab hand at it now. It's not dirt cheap as the acrylic has really gone up in price but all the materials can be sourced at good value on the net. It's still probably the cheapest option, though. I found 2mm was better as it's lighter for me to handle and less likely to pull away from the magnetic tape. You can use some little clips to help with that, though. 3mm would give better sound-proofing, I guess. There's about a 6 cm gap between the original glass and the plastic.

I've never thought about how good it is at sound-proofing as I want it for warmth, and it certainly helps with that. It's not possible to have windows open with it on.

You can see it from the outside a little as it creates a bit of reflection, but nothing ugly, IMO. Mostly in winter it's covered with curtains to keep out the dark, so I don't look at it anyway.

If you only want your windows on the hall side done, then it's probably worth paying to get the proper stuff as you would be leaving it on all year.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                      Ratings:
                      +7,278
                      All the advice given is good, and I have done it myself 80's style
                      However back to electronics and IT, one of my remits was repair and installation of sound systems and subsequent complaints from tennants living above or adjacent to the property

Phone the Council and make a noise complaint
                      Two officers will come to your home with decimeters on said disturbed nights
                      When they have checked the levels they will then make an un announced visit to the noise pollutant premises with decimeters
                      Two officers will be in the pollutant premises and one in yours all with decimeters, and radio comms
                      They check the levels, and the DJ if he is wise has a sound engineer with him
                      They then work together first reducing the bass, then the volume Until it is ACCEPTABLE IN YOUR HOME,
                      Then they fit restrictors on the sound equipement (Gov sealed volume pots) or a device remote that cuts the power if it goes above a certain decibel
                      All annonymous and FREE
                      I have attended and fitted hundreds in my time

Best of luck cheaper than glazing

Jack McH