1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Securing eezee flower pouches

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,472
    Having removed all of the remnants of the old gates at the front of my driveway, I whacked a couple of screws into the sides of the brick pillars with a view to having an eezee flower pouch hanging on each one to give a bit of colour.

Now that I have reached the point where I am about to plant them up, I got to wondering how I could secure them a bit? I have no reason to expect that anyone is likely to make off with them, as our area is pretty good and our street particularly so (I am lucky to have wonderful neighbours), however there is always those passing through, or the temptation for someone who has had too much falling down water to lob them about - so, any suggestions as to how to secure them?

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to wrap some garden wire through the hole that they hang from a few times, and then twist it tightly onto the screw just behind the bag - the theory being that this will be hidden by the bag and the plants before too long?

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

2. sumbody

sumbody Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +303
    I had a large potted geranium stolen from my front door years ago - to be honest I was incensed - followed the trail of petals into the block of flats next door but never found the plant :( - after that I used tying wire wound round the pots - not totally steal-proof but wouldn't be so easy to just walk up and take them.

Many years ago a guy called at the door selling mushroom compost - he took it directly to my compost heap as well - Years later after I had spread the compost to the front garden - had lots of mushrooms coming up - not knowing what was poisonous or not I would never eat them - but one day I saw a couple in my garden picking some of them - when I called out the window obviously too politely, they told me its ok - we know what we are doing - absolutely oblivious to the fact they were in my front garden doing it :nonofinger: Must admit I tread on any that have come up since.

S

• Like Like x 1
    • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,951
      Wrapping wire around is probably about as good as you can do because if anyone really wants to steal them then they will regardless of how well you have secured them!! How about using barbed wire and then if the flowers cover it....................!! :heehee:

Val

• Like Like x 3
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,472

I doubt that anyone would actually steal them, not least because I have never had any problems with the baskets etc that are out the front, and as I say the neighbours and the street are spot on. I think the only thing I might have suffered from would be the opportunist or inebriated who would flick them off and play football with it.

I will put them on with a chunk of garden wire, and hopefully that will make them awkward enough to get off that it will be deterrent enough.