1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sedum management!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Rosiemongrel, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have several very large clumps of sedum in my borders. I don't really like them, but I can see that they serve a purpose (colour in the autumn). My question is this: they are becoming way bigger than I'd like, so can I just divide them and take a few clumps out, so as to reduce their overall size (as you would do with a perennial geranium, say), or is that not how they are managed?

2. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,534
    Oh, Honey, so , so easy to divide. You can dig out a portion or dig up the whole thing and wack it down the middle or x4 as you desired and re-plant. I would not do it until fall.

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yes, you can divide them just as you would a perennial geranium Rosie. Take bits away from round the edges or dig the whole thing out and out back the bits you want. Shame you don't like them - I love them.

4. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,534
    I love them too. There are so many varieties of them to chose from. Short, medium, tall, varigated, stripped. And the different flowers, so nice.

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Same here, beautiful plants and a real winner for the late summer border.

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    I love sedums as well, they are very drought tolerant and as we are supposed to be having a dry hot summer they should do really well.

7. Bally

Bally Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was given a few clumps early in the year, cant wait to see what colour they are !!

8. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone, I have divided them up and moved them around a bit. So nothing was lost, every clump was recycled! The thunderstorm last night watered it in well, I think.