1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sedums

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by wee tattie, Dec 22, 2008.

1. wee tattie

wee tattie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Do I dead head my large pink sedums please?

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I would, Wee Tattie. They look SO unsightly, otherwise.:gnthb:

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    If they have dried out then you can also keep them as "winter interest". Well, according to some gardening books I have. But I agree with David, better to cut them back to the new growth already starting to appear.

4. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,593
    Like Aaron said you can keep them as "winter interest" they do look pretty if still up right with snow on them or just dried. Mine generally flop to bad at the end of fall so I just cut them down to the ground and have never had any issue with come back in spring and double in size too. I am going to also cut them 1/2 down in mid July, maybe that will keep them up right, and they are in the sun. Other than that, I would have to stake them, and rather not given all the other stuff I tend to in the gardens.

5. wee tattie

wee tattie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to the three of you, all good advice, I do agree they look unsightly, and here down south coast of England we get more damp than snow, so they are a bit yukky, so 'Off with their heads'

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Whilst on the subject of sedums, someone advised that to get really densely packed blooms next year, trim them back in Spring when the new growth is appearing, not completely, to make them bush out. Anyone heard this or better still tried it with good results?

7. wee tattie

wee tattie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be interested in that too, as it would hopefully attract more bees

8. gingernutsman

gingernutsman Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    What happens with Sedums is the centre gets rather weak as the new growth at the outside edges increases. Lifting, dividing and replanting gives more plants and allows the new growth plenty of room to spread. Adding some compost to the planting holes also improves vitality. you can discard the old centre as you will have lots of new vigorous plants to enjoy. :thumb:

9. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    The sedums I have were only planted last year, so I think its too early for lifting and dividing. I am going to try cutting back a third of the new growth on one of them this Spring, as an experiment.

10. gingernutsman

gingernutsman Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    No need for the one third to be cut, cut them all down to ground level and I can assure you they will come back in the spring bigger and better than ever. :thumb:

11. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    It is one of those plants that can get the Chelsea Cut, they bloom a bit later but on shorter, stronger stems so that they don't flop all over the place.