seed germination issues

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by sweetpeas, Nov 23, 2010.

1. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hello all.

Long time no speak, sorry for that, I got a bit cought up with uni, silly thing is I'm studying Horticulture.

So a quick question for you........as I am going to be doing some research........what seeds do you have trouble germinating??

I am looking into peat free media and westland have asked me to see how the new medias on the marked affect germination of those seeds ( small mainly ) actual gardeners have issues with due to the structure and components of peat free medias.

Thanks Guys, will make more of an effort in future :)

Jo x

2. HBK

HBK Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I've only really had trouble getting mulberry to germinate but then I planted them in autumn because of my impatience so I don't think it's much help. I would guess anything exotic or that required stratification could be considered difficult or any seed grown out of season perhaps. Good luck Jo!

3. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Primroses.

I'm not a fan of the bog-standard ones, but love the candelabra types, but you can't buy the plants anywhere, just seeds.

I've never got the damn things to germinate.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,635
    It's good to see you back sweetpeas, where are you studying?

I always have trouble with Parsnip and sometimes carrot seeds.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I don't have trouble with Parsnip any more since I started germinating them on damp kitchen roll - its a cigarette to prick them out with tweezers, but its only 50 or so, and once a year.

6. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Sweetpeas, good to see you there and hope your course is going well.
    I find somethings which are hopeless from bought seed (old|) are just weed from fresh seed straight from the plant.
    I'm thinking alchimela, primroses, astrantia, meconopsis, cranesbills and many more. From the plant they seed themselves in the gravel paths and from a packet they do diddly.
    As for the peat free compost - I've had very poor results from it, poor germination and plant failing to grow on.
    Last year I had to transplant all my seedlings from it then they grew on fine.

7. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks everyone :)

JKW am studying at Nottingham Trent University and made it to my second year so going good i think Alice :)