1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Seed pods (?) on day lily

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Claire75, May 13, 2008.

1. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm posting this on behalf of my Dad (until I can persuade him to open his own account!)
    He has noticed some kind of weird seed pods on a day lily and wants to know whether they are indeed likely to be seed pods and what (if anything) he should do about them. He's been growing them for years and has never noticed anything at all like this...

I'm trying to get a picture organised and to find out whether it's flowered, how long he's had the plant and whether he knows the name of the type.

In the meantime, if anyone can shed any light on the subject (or tell me anything else you need to know!) we'd be very grateful! :D

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Seems a strange time of year for seeds Claire. Seeds follow flowering so I think the best thing you can do is get us a picture.

Tell your Dad that the Admins here don't send you spam or begging letters. They don't sell your email address and none of the members bite.;)

3. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John :) I'm still working on it but he's inexperienced with the whole techno-internet-thing and I think it all sounds a bit complicated - also he's only on dial up so everything is rather S...L...O...W but next time I go home I'll show him the forum and see what he thinks :D If he decides to get broadband I'm campaigning for him to get on Flickr too, which makes the whole photo thing much easier!

He is going to take a photo and try and email it so fingers crossed. In the meantime, it's called Corky, he's had it for two years and it flowered last year and was in flower when bought, but hasn't flowered yet this year, and he doesn't think he's noticed the "things" on it before.

4. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We are still working on the photos but Dad's struggling a bit with the technology (he downloaded them, tried to attach them to an email and apparently they'd vanished!).

However, he says these "seedheads" (for want of a better term) look a bit like sweetcorn "flowers" or grass seeds....

I'm really curious so hope that he'll be able to get the photos over soon :)