Seeded Lawn issues

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by stuart62, May 30, 2015.

1. stuart62

stuart62 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Last year i replaced my drive with a seeded lawn putting the seeds down last September

The lawn has been coming on well but i am a little worried about a slight yellow tinge. Part of the lawn is more affected than others. The worst part was partly blocked from what sun we were getting earlier in the spring but now we are coming towards summer it will no longer be in the shade
    Also this last week i have noticed shoots coming up all across lawn which upon close inspection are round stronger shoots some of which have seeds at the top which have the appearance of grass seeds
    There also appears to be some dead grass under the good grass even though i give it a light scarrify around a month ago using a lawn rake
    I used Canada Green lawn seed which had the best reviews at the time on Amazon
    Maybe it's just me being over fussy but thought it best to check
    I have uploaded pics but not best pics to highlight the problem o be honest
    Thanks for looking

Attached Files:

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,310
    Are you here in Britain Stuart? It would help us with advice if you would put your area in your avatar box please. Different areas and climates make a difference to plant growth.

Have you fed the lawn since it's been laid?

3. stuart62

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Sheal
    I'm in Lancashire UK

No i haven't fed the lawn since sewing the seeds

I was reluctant because it was new top soil and i put fertiliser down before sewing so thought it might be too soon

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,310
    Oh, just over the water from me then. :)

It was wise not to feed, it's not necessary in a lawns first year. Looking at your lawn I would say that it's yellowing due to all the rain and lack of sun in recent weeks and there's nothing you can do about that. See how it goes if and when the weather improves, if it doesn't green up then I would suggest a feed. I know that goes against what I said previously but too much rain will wash nutrients out of the soil. Meanwhile aerating to open the soil up will help.

Grass seed is usually a mix of different types to give the lawn some strength. The seeding grass you see is normal and if it is a shorter stemmed one than the others then this won't be cut as low as the rest of the lawn. Without scalping it try cutting the lawn slightly lower next time and see how it responds. I use the second lowest height adjustment on my back lawn and third from lowest on the front, there are five heights on mine.

5. stuart62

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes...Just over the water from you and probably a similar climate
    I was hoping you would say the seeding grass is normal
    I'll be patient and hopefully things will look better when it gets some sun on it
    I plan on feeding the lawn in the Autumn, unless the yellowing continues
    What would you suggest is the best way to aeriate ?
    Thanks again for your reply

6. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,310
    It depends on the size of your lawn. If it's not to big you can go over it with a garden fork, digging it in every 12in/30cm or so to a depth of approximately 3in/7cm, then give it a wiggle to open the soil up. Or you could opt for one of the following, there's a variety to choose from. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/lawn-aerator

7. stuart62

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that

I'll look into aerator and, hopefully, the sun will show itself at some point :-)

• Like Like x 1