1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Seedling Disaster??

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Allison, May 13, 2005.

1. Allison

Allison Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Help!

I have repotted all my Dahlia, Sweet Pea and Cosmos seedlings - they are getting on really nicely and are outside hardening off.

Yesterday I watered them and all the pots started foaming. Earlier in the day I had caught my darling 4 yr old daughter with my washing up liquid. Putting 2 and 2 together it turns out that she had very kindly 'watered' my pots with it. :eek:

Can anyone tell me if this is going to kill the plants?

I am so down in the dumps.. moved here a couple of years ago and it was just one big patch of bare earth - I have put in loads of work and it's all coming together. These plants were just going to make that last bit of difference this year. :(

I couldn't get disappointed with my daughter. I thought she was just trying to copy what she's seen me do. And I do encourage my kids to get involved with the garden. But then she told her daddy that she had done it because I wouldn't give her some chocolate!!!! :(

Any advice would be appreciated. ;)

2. Allison

Ratings:
    +0
    Advice on the plants that is... not on child discipline!

:D

3. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    HI Allison

I would probably try repotting them again taking as much of the soil away as poss trying not to disturb the root to much, its always worth a try [​IMG] and I would suggest putting the washing
    up liquid out of reach [​IMG] I have three little darlings so I know how much they just love to help!!!!

4. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Allison,
    I have heard of using diluted washing up liquid to kill off greenfly on plants, but how much and in what quantity I dont know.Good luck. I have one boy aged 9 who also likes to help by leaving the grenhouse door open. My cucumber is still just holding its own trying to recover. Kids dont you just love them.
    Jacqui

5. Allison

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dalbuie - the plants all look ok today (24 hours later) - I will water them in a mo and then check again in the morning.. if they look like they are flagging I will repot.

Jacqui: I have actually sprayed diluted washing up liquid on a honeysuckle to get rid of aphids and it seems to have worked! So I will keep my fingers crossed... it was antibacterial washing up liquid so maybe I'll just have very healthy plants! :rolleyes: