1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Seedlings mutating and dying

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Jonw82, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Jonw82

Jonw82 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello All

I have been trying to get some seedlings going (marigolds and pansy) I have been using potting compost for seedlings in a heated propagator and have been removing the lid once leaves have formed.

However they seem to be dying i have now moved them to a warmish window ledge.
    as you can see the new leaves are mutating and just dying off, any ideas would be greatly received
    20190209_120132.jpg 20190209_120153.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,613
      How do you mean, mutating?
      The adult leaves that are forming after the cotyledons do appear a bit wrinkled, have a very close look, it could be green fly, or possibly nothing wrong with them.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,244
        To me they look like fairly normal marigold seedlings. Seed leaves (cotyledons) are often a different shape to the first proper leaves. The compost looks plenty wet enough so I would let it dry out a bit.
        I won't be sowing marigolds for another couple of months and pansies don't really require heat to germinate.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Jonw82

Jonw82 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +2
          Thank you for your replies!
          @pete by mutating the newest leaves seem to be shriveling and are getting brown tips, i have looked closer and cant seem to see any greenfly on them saying that i don't have a magnifying glass to see to close.

@NigelJ I have just watered them as they were pretty dry before the pics were taken, i will keep an eye and see how they look in a week or so.

Thank you for getting back to me much appreciated!

• Informative Informative x 1
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,030
            Maybe they had dried out too much prior to you watering them, that would cause the new leaves to go brown. It is not easy to get watering exactly right especially with new seedlings, they can dry out very quickly on a sunny window sill. Then if they are over watered it's just as bad as drying out, the compost needs to be kept moist rather than wet.

• Like Like x 2