1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Seedlings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Shaneoak, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi-I've got a couple of questions-
    I've planted a new variety (Peach blush)of Calendula in trays outside, although it says sow directly into the soil on the packet. Will they still be okay planted in trays?
    and second, i've planted some white cosmos a new double flowering variety,indoors and they've germinated in 4 days, when it says 14 to 21 days on the packet! They look really leggy and thin already. I've kept them in a well lit room, but the heating isn't consistent. Any ideas why they have germinated so early and look so leggy? Thanks

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,244
    I sow my calendula into a tray in the cold greenhouse and then transplant.
    I would think that the temperature was what caused them to germinate so quickly. Even in a well lit room seedlings really need to be on the windowsill unless it gets direct sun when you need to be a bit careful. The light level drops very quickly as you move away from the window.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,632
      Hi,
      Cosmos germinates in a couple of days also on my windowsills. They also always grow leggy regardless of the bright windowsill and lower temperature they get after germinating, but that doesn't really matter. They'll bulk up when they get outdoors and the wobbly lower legs can be buried in the soil when you pot them on. An inch deeper with each re-potting seems to do them no harm at all.

My Cosmos seedlings are now taking day trips on the sheltered back bench when it's not too windy. That has helped to stop the spindly growth and they are now manning up quickly. I sowed them perhaps a month ago.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +44,474
        I sow calendula and cosmos in the conservatory beginning of last month. Have to keep turning them each day. I make a light box it's a cardboard box with the front cut out and sides cut down at a angle,put tin foil inside shiny side out, but still keep turning them. Now the calendula are outside in cell trays. The cosmos I've potted on and can plant them a bit deeper they don't mind that. I've got a small growhouse that they go in.

• Like Like x 2
        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,373
          Sow all ours in our unheated greenhouse , and if really needed throw a fleece over them if the night temps drop dramatically.
          Ours are left outside during the day....under cover today due to the heavy rainfall.

I have also direct sowed some too last week as they usually germinate well out in the borders at this time of year.

I am ,finally, beginning to realise that I tend to sow way too early. Sowing indoors in March when in all honesty it's often unnecessary and the same results are gained from sowing in April in either the cold greenhouse or direct.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
            Ratings:
            +44,474
            @Upsydaisy but you live down south, it's a lot different up here in the west midlands. I start them off in a propagater when they've germinated I take them out and the conservatory hasn't got any heating. :smile:

• Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +54,373
            I can say for sure judging by your weather posts we haven't been that different ,many a time we've been cooler that you. I just gave my opinion, like you did. No 'buts' necessary. Shaneoak didn't say where he was......he could be at his Swedish, London ( not too far from me) or indeed at his Leeds address. We are all here to offer any advice we can . I didn't say your way was wrong @Logan .

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
              Ratings:
              +88
              Hey-Thanks for all the information, sorry, my fault, i should've said, i'm residing in Leeds(home city:) ) now with everything that's going on! I don't have a greenhouse unfortunately or conservatory, so, i've just left them outside in trays.
              Is it too soon for me to start placing the cosmos outside for a few hours now to stop leggy growth? It's been about a week. I always wanted to have masses of black ball cornflower growing in garden, but they never seem to do as well as the blue, so, i've planted them in trays outside too.
              How come you have to keep turning the trays with tinfoil? Lots of questions:) cheers

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +54,373
                Well I daren't say this but down here yes I am putting mine out on good days obviously not in strong breeze or heavy rain.
                But they may need protection at night. No matter how careful you are they do by nature tend to grow leggy, just sink then lower into the compost when you pot them up.

When people have low light levels, albeit due to the time of year they sow seeds or the position of their house/ greenhouse then they can try and compensate this by frequently turning the tray, it will stop plants leaning towards the light and likewise using foil as a backdrop deffuses the light too and distributes it evenly around the plants.

I've not had great success with Black Ball either ,grew them last year but they succumbed to mildew quite badly when out growing in the borders. These too can also be sowed directly in the ground in Spring and do better in poorer soils so don't add any fertiliser.:)

• Like Like x 1
                • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                  Ratings:
                  +44,474
                  I know that you didn't, I'm just giving my opinion as well. :smile:

• Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +54,373
                  Yes I know you did , before I gave mine...just couldn't understand your need to comment on mine..that's all:dunno::dunno:

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                  +7,632
                  Ah you are a Southener then ;) :heehee:

My Cosmos start their outings when they have a good pair or two of proper leaves, and the temperature is above 10c. Wind is a challenge, so great if you can find a sheltered spot, or put them in a transparent box for their time out. I find plastic cheapy storage boxes very useful for this, they shelter the seedlings from the winds and make it easy to lift them in and out.

Once they are about 10cm tall you can gather them around a support (bbq skewers are good) and loosely tie them so that they point upwards rather than sideways, that prevents them from tangling and breaking when you try to pull them apart. Any even a non- elegant solution is fine, they will find their form later on and now just need some gentle guidance which way to grow.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
                    Ratings:
                    +88
                    Thanks for all the tips-really appreciate them. I'll let you know how they get on! ( btw i was born in Leeds and reside here most of the time :) ) Stay safe!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +54,373
                    • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
                      Ratings:
                      +88
                      Thank you