1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeds dilemma

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Buttercup, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Buttercup

Buttercup Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

I am just about to begin planting some veg seeds which I bought from Aldi supermarket at the bargain price of 50p per pack. It's just occured to me that they may be rubbish. Does anyone know if there is a quality variation between seeds, and could I be wasting time planting cheap seeds? Does it affect the quality of the veg produced?

mmmm bit of a dilemma!!

Also can anyone reckomend any online veg seed sites, although it is my first year of growing I'd like to have a bash at something a bit different.

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,925
  3. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Buttercup,

If you are just starting out I would recommend you stick to tried and trusted varieties of whatever you decide to grow. In my experience, many of the "new & improved" variety of veg seeds marketed each year (often at inflated prices) can be a bit hit and miss and some are never seen again after the initial promotion. Also certain varieties do better than others in different areas of the country due to soil and weather variations; why not ask your neighbours what they grow successfully....most gardeners are keen to pass on advice. Your Aldi seeds will more than lkely be well established varieties so give them go. Good Luck.

4. scenicplot

scenicplot Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for and like skrumpy I would stick to the tried and tested. And agree with nathan and recommend Thompson & Morgan also Kings

Have a blooming good summer

Scenicplot

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,599
    I'm sorry to say that over the years I have not found Thompson & Morgan particully good. They do make some fairly exciting claims about certain plants that I found a bit much, especially the more unusual types. But that is just my opinion.
    Its best to check the 'sow by date' on the packet if they look a bit old.
    My favorite is Chiltern Seeds, but any reputable company is OK.

6. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Chilterns and Suttons have been on top of my list for many years,in fact I found some Sutton's seeds last year, unopened, bedding Geraniums and all germinated, so have put more in this year, just coming up again...it's the foil packing what kept them so good, not me storing them, they were in hot and cold greenhouse, in damp sheds, cats even found a box once hoping to have kittens in it. I think T & M made their name with Novelty seeds and expensive,I was one of their best customer at one time, lol.

7. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    If you are not bothered about glossy pics on the packets or even any pics on the packets [​IMG] same goes for the catalogue...but you do want a good quantity of seed at a good price and a good range of varieties try these

Wallis seeds, Broads green, Great Waltham, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 1DS Phone for a Catalogue on...01245.360413
    Or email on [email protected]

8. Buttercup

Buttercup Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks everyone, I think I'll give the aldi seeds a try, and order some back ups just in case. Is there a way of telling when the seeds start to grow if they're not going to make good veg or is it a case of stick them in and see what happes?

Also I need to treat some wood before I use it to mark out the beds. What treatment is best to use that isn't toxic for plants - I want a chemical free veg patch!!

I'm a really novice at this veg growing game and the advice you all give is great. Thanks very much.

9. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,599
    I dont think there is such a thing as a chemical free wood treatment. Basically if its not slightly toxic (to some extent) it cant do its job.Having said that some are probably better than others, but I dont think the less toxic ones are much use on timber in contact with the soil. Which is why people use old sleepers, because they've been soaked in creosote over a long period.
    Try pressure treated timber from a fencing contractor.

10. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,925
    Though I commented on Thompson and Morgan above, I have a browse through to see what is available with pictures to see what the product will end up looking like........ BUT, I do use seeds from such places as Wilkinsons, QD etc. and never had any problems.

I sometimes see packets of "interesting" seeds (ie the Ginkgo Biloba I have awaiting germination), and buy them for a challenge, or for something different.

I have even tried Blue sweetcorn, but think that it was more of a novelty than a productive plant.

Nathan.

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,599
    Nathan blue sweetcorn? You must be joking.

12. lantra

lantra Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi there ive bought seeds from lidl and usually they are ok,not really noticed much difference from the mire expensive ones.

13. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,925
    Pete,

Yep, blue sweetcorn. It was one of those things you think, wow, when you see it ....... But never came to anything :( !!

Nathan.

14. beans

beans Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Buttercup
    If you have a 'Poundland' see if they have a salad pack of seeds - beetroot,tomatoes,spring onions,lettuce and herbs I tried these a couple of years ago and was not disapointed. For a change this year I have joined HDRA (Organic gardening}and collected 7 packets of seeds from them. I'll let you know how they do later this year